6 neons and a blue dwarf gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a ten gallon tank that i have been trying to think of stocking ideas for, i have gone through a lot of ideas and this seems the safest and most appealing to me,

6-7 neon tetras
1- blue dwarf gourami

does this sound like a good stocking list? anything else you would recommend? i would like to add maybe some shrimp or snails or maybe up the group of neons but im not really sure what would be too much.

Ember Tetra or Von Rio Tetra stay smaller than the neon tetras. You could get a really nice group of embers in there.

My ten gallon has a few panda corys, a pearl gourami, and will soon have a school of 6 ember tetra.

Neons and DG's are suitable for a 10 gal, but smaller fish like ember tetras and sparkling gouramis are a better fit.

Adding shrimp would be fine, their bio-load is very small and they won't take away space from the fish. As far as the snails, it depends on which type you are referring to.

I'm sorry but panda cories need a larger footprint than a 10 gal tank, and a pearl gourmi needs a much larger tank. I wouldn't keep one in anything smaller than a 40 gal.

The pearl gourami is only about two inches right now... Im growing him out a bit before moving him to my 55 gallon. I respectfully disagree about the Panda Corys, but if it ever becomes an issue I have a 46 they can move to.

i dont have a lot of options when it comes to tetras sadly, but i will keep an eye out for embers. i didnt have any specific snail in mind and i would actually rather have shrimp, which would you recommend and how many? keeping in mind that i may not be able to find a different species of tetra other then the neons, and im really really hoping to be able to add the dwarf gourami.

Also which would i add first? the tank is cycled but i know that both of these fish are fairly sensitive, and would i add the whole group of tetras all at once or start off smaller? im very consistent with water changes, so that wont be a problem

I would also think about plecos and or loaches. If you have ever seen any of my comments alot if them are about the plecos and poached. Of course plecos are a huge help in your tank but for a bottom fish I would look into some of the smaller loaches but even with the smaller ones it might be a good idea to eventually upgrade them to a 55 gal

in my personal opinion both plecos and loaches get too big for a ten gallon, but thanks for the suggestion :) i have a very large pleco in my 75 gallon mbuna tank :)

i dont have a lot of options when it comes to tetras sadly, but i will keep an eye out for embers. i didnt have any specific snail in mind and i would actually rather have shrimp, which would you recommend and how many? keeping in mind that i may not be able to find a different species of tetra other then the neons, and im really really hoping to be able to add the dwarf gourami.

Also which would i add first? the tank is cycled but i know that both of these fish are fairly sensitive, and would i add the whole group of tetras all at once or start off smaller? im very consistent with water changes, so that wont be a problem
I think neons and a dg will be fine. I love my embers though, and they do very well in a 10g tank and seem to be hardier than a lot neons commonly available. I had to order a lot of my fish online because a lot of nano fish are not commonly carried at your average lfs.
If you want shrimp, just be aware that your dg may hunt them all down. Some fish do fine with shrimp, some eat them like they are starving. It depends on the individual fish. Pretty much any fish will eat shrimplets though. If you want rcs (or a similar dwarf shrimp), you could easily start with like 10 and see how it goes. You may want to test it out with ghost shrimp though because they are much cheaper.

I agree completly but if you plan to up grade then it might not be a bad deal. But yes only for a limited time could they be in a 10 gal

im not really comfortable with ordering fish online i really like to see the fish and pick them all out individually before i buy (weird i know) haha, im aware that my shrimp may not survive but thought it would be a cool idea to try them out and i would probably go with ghost shrimp because they're the most readily available, apparently winnipeg doesn't have a good selection of shrimp :p

also, if my ghost shrimp do well and i find a place to buy rcs would it be okay to mix the two species?

The pearl gourami is only about two inches right now... Im growing him out a bit before moving him to my 55 gallon. I respectfully disagree about the Panda Corys, but if it ever becomes an issue I have a 46 they can move to.
Ah, fantastic!

It doesn't matter too much, but I would add the dwarf gourami last. Split the tetras into two groups. I would start off with 20 RCS. Many gouramis will eat them, but if the tank is nicely planted with good hiding spots some should survive.
I would also think about plecos and or loaches. If you have ever seen any of my comments alot if them are about the plecos and poached. Of course plecos are a huge help in your tank but for a bottom fish I would look into some of the smaller loaches but even with the smaller ones it might be a good idea to eventually upgrade them to a 55 gal
No pleco works in a 10 gal tank. 1 or 2 nerite snails, along with the RCS, are great algae eating options for a tank this size. Yunnanilus cruciatus is the only loach I know of that works in 10 gal, but their wouldn't be room for a group of them with the other fish that have already been selected.
also, if my ghost shrimp do well and i find a place to buy rcs would it be okay to mix the two species?
I believe ghost shrimp would likely eat the teeny tiny baby RCS, so I wouldn't mix the two.

i think im going to stick with my original idea, a group of six neons and a dwarf gourami and add some shrimp and see how they work out :) i think as long as im on top of water changes everything will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom