60 gal freshwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kryhavok318

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'll give a bit of background info before I start asking questions.
Started tank after Christmas '14.
Fish less water cycle.
Stocked tank Mid February with:
Inspector pleco
4 lace veil tail angelfish
3 diamond tetras
3 serpae tetras.
3 schwartzi corys
3 baby panda garras
Lost the pleco for unknown reasons.
Lost one serpae due to possible bullying by angels.
Filtration: fluval 306 canister along with a aquatic power filter
Bubble wall across the back wall.
I keep the temp around 77-78
I feed once a day-omega flakes every other day, and bloodworms / brine shrimp the other day. Along with algae wafers.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427613789.062257.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Question 1-
I'm getting this rust colored algae looking stuff? Anyone know what it is?

Did a deep clean last weekend and scrubbed it all off and it's coming back...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427615276.091489.jpg

About to add a new pleco and two Chinese algae eaters... Hopefully it helps

No to Chinese algae eater. They won't help your algae and will terrorize tank

No to Chinese algae eater. They won't help your algae and will terrorize tank

Yes yes yes yes please listen to this. Chinese Algae Eaters once mature are great for cleaning the tank, but WILL terrorize their tankmates.

If you are having algae problems:

1. How long are the lights on per day?

2. Possible over feeding.

3. How often do you do water changes?

4. Pleco are also poop machines once they are a decent size. Important to remember in perspective of bioload.

I would also work on evening out your schooling fish. Tetras and cories need 5+ for a school.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Chinese algae eaters are known for terrorizing tanks, if you want something that will eat the algae, I would recommend leaving your light on for 8 hours a day, as if you leave them on more, your just growing algae.

You have a beautiful tank. You might be over feeding and vacuuming your gravel would be tough unless you move all your plants. Getting the gravel clean helps from nitrates building up. I get that brownish algae too and nothing I've had eats it so a couple times a year I pull and scrub what needs it. I have Current LED lights that I dim way down most of the day and that slows down growth. I have yet to try Nerite snails but might give them a try. I would do 50% water changes weekly in your tank because your bio load is high and use Prime as well.

I usually turn the lights on around noon and turn them off at midnight. I'll get a timer set so that it's on from 4p-midnight.

Thanks for the Advice on the algae eaters. Unfortunately I had bought them right before that post. I'll keep an eye on them. So far when an angel sees one they chase them around...
My Angels are bully's I think...

I do a 30-50 % water change once per week. I try to vacuum as much as I can. I take out big decorations every other week to vacuum. And right now I move the plants once a month to vacuum under.

I feed once per day when I turn on the lights. When I put them on a light timer, I will start feeding them an hour before lights off.
It's possible I'm over feeding... I don't want them to starve. I'll try to feed them less. I've been feeding them two frozen cubes of bloodworm/brine shrimp, and when I do flake I usually try to sprinkle it across the top. And I'll throw in 4-5 wafers at time because a couple of the Angels go crazy on one while the corys go after another couple of wafers.

Once that CAE gets bigger it will be the other way around. They are little nightmares.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

This is kind of off topic but I have the same tank/stand as you and I was wondering what you did with the canister setup. Like it definitely doesn't fit in those tiny *** cabinets that the stand came with right? Do you just have it on the side?

Any idea what to do with the cae's? I don't think store would take them back.

Yea, I just have it on the side

The left cabinet won't shut all the way for me..

Most stores have a return policy if you have the receipt. especially if you just got them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yes find a way to get rid of the CAE :( trust me from experience... 3 dead fish over night.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

So I've been thinking about evening out the schools like you suggested.

For the cories, do they have to be the same type? Could I mix In a albino or panda or two?

I'm excited to get more diamond tetras.. Don't know about the serpae tho.. They seem to be a target of an angel...

So I've been thinking about evening out the schools like you suggested.

For the cories, do they have to be the same type? Could I mix In a albino or panda or two?

I'm excited to get more diamond tetras.. Don't know about the serpae tho.. They seem to be a target of an angel...

Different Cory species will school together but it's best to get their own species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ugh I wish those cae's were good fish. Either them or the new pleco has pretty much cleaned up all the algae. Even the brownish algae

Ugh I wish those cae's were good fish. Either them or the new pleco has pretty much cleaned up all the algae. Even the brownish algae

My 1 otocinclus cleans a 55 gallon easy. They are workhorses of algae cleaning imo.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom