60g - ideas to separate betta please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a community 60g with guppies, tetras and mollies and soon to add dwarf gourami. I also have my heart set on getting a betta and know that won't work with the guppies and DG.

I looked for a tank divider for a 60g but am not seeing one for a tank that size.

Any ideas? Can I make one? Is there anything else I can use? Is there a type of fry box that would not hinder viewing the betta?

Also, I don't like how 'chopped up' the tank looks with a divider - any ideas on how to make/buy one that is not that visible?

Any thoughts appreciated.

What makes you so certain that the betta won't work with the guppies or gourami? It's doable depending on the betta's personality. I kept a betta with my 3 spot gourami and guppies for several years without any fights or problems. Some tips that seem to help:
1) Try to pick out a calmer betta. One that flares at everything it sees is more likely to mistake the guppy tails for a male betta and attack.

2) Add the betta to the tank last. This ensures the betta doesn't think the guppies or gourami are invading his territory.

3) Change the layout of your tank prior to adding the betta. Not only does this break up territories of existing tank inhabitants, but it also lets you arrange things in a way to give you the best chance of success. Make sure there are no long sections of unbroken line of sight, and have lots of hidey holes for everyone to retreat to when they need peace and quiet. Floating cover is handy too when keeping bettas and gourami.

4) When adding the betta, float him in a breeder box or net for a few days. This lets him see his future tankmates but not reach them, so he has time to realize that no, the guppies aren't bettas, and neither is the gourami. If after a few days he can watch them swim by without reacting, he should be safe to release into the tank. Keep a close eye on them for the first week and separate if problems arise.

Success will be up to the fish personalities, but you should have a good shot of it working without needing the complication of dividers and such if you follow these steps.

What makes you so certain that the betta won't work with the guppies or gourami? It's doable depending on the betta's personality. I kept a betta with my 3 spot gourami and guppies for several years without any fights or problems. Some tips that seem to help:
1) Try to pick out a calmer betta. One that flares at everything it sees is more likely to mistake the guppy tails for a male betta and attack.

2) Add the betta to the tank last. This ensures the betta doesn't think the guppies or gourami are invading his territory.

3) Change the layout of your tank prior to adding the betta. Not only does this break up territories of existing tank inhabitants, but it also lets you arrange things in a way to give you the best chance of success. Make sure there are no long sections of unbroken line of sight, and have lots of hidey holes for everyone to retreat to when they need peace and quiet. Floating cover is handy too when keeping bettas and gourami.

4) When adding the betta, float him in a breeder box or net for a few days. This lets him see his future tankmates but not reach them, so he has time to realize that no, the guppies aren't bettas, and neither is the gourami. If after a few days he can watch them swim by without reacting, he should be safe to release into the tank. Keep a close eye on them for the first week and separate if problems arise.

Success will be up to the fish personalities, but you should have a good shot of it working without needing the complication of dividers and such if you follow these steps.

Hmm....ok thanks. I had read that some people can get them to cohabit depending on the individual fish but I thought it was not that common and something maybe a newbie like me shouldn't try. But I guess there is no harm in giving it a go and seeing what happens! I can always take the fish back to the store if it doesn't work. Thanks for your input!

Very good advice above. If you follow that and have issues, look into an egg crate (light diffuser) as a separator or something similar. You could cut it to fit and the betta wouldn't be able to get through, but smaller fish would be able to fit though.

Yo sallyjano, I know you have a 10g tank too. Your betta will fit this tank, and keep it cycled for eventual QT purposes.

I do this with my GF betta that is usually in a 1g bucket.

Yo sallyjano, I know you have a 10g tank. Your betta will fit this tank, and keep it cycled for eventual QT purposes.

Yo Mr V!! Yes you're right I do. I am using it as a QT right now with some tetras and guppies. So yes I guess I could use it for the betta but I just think they would look beautiful all swimming around together in the same tank! But I guess what I will do is try it out and if the betta is too aggressive that can be my back up plan.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom