60G Tall Hex and Water Movement Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OneFishTwoFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I also got a new tank for Christmas and it's a nice 60G tall (30in) hex with an Aquaclear 300 filter. My main question is if this will provide enough water movement or if I should add some water movement to the bottom? Interested in any thoughts you might have. TIA.

Doug

That's one thing I'm still researching. I'd like to get three levels involved but beyond that haven't really made a decision on what fish I want to build around. Other than I think more smaller fish then fewer larger ones. Perhaps some Cichlid as the main focus if I could find a colorful one that is a good community species. So advice on that front would be appreciated too.

African Chiclids need to be kept as a group. The water qualities and needs are different for them than with other fresh water fish. The are very territorial, can be very aggresive, like lots of rock work and plenty of spaces to hide, and want room to swim, so don't know how they'd do in a tall tank. Have no knowledge of the American varities but am sure someone here does.

Well I think most African cichlids are out. They tend to be a tad too agressive for most community tanks. Try some south american cichlids. Maybe some dwarfs? I am setting up a 20 gal for some dwarfs and from my observations at my lfs they are much more docile. I'm no expert though.

No offensive.. but I dislike oddball tanks like hexes

They don't provide enough horizontal space for fish, So your extremly limited on what you can put in the tank.

on a tall tank like that youll definately want good surface agitation for aeration. you could suction cup a submersible pump in the back on the bottom pointed along the glass and up at a 20~30 degree angle. also make sure the uplift tube for the filter reaches fairly far down into the tank. i think rams would be a good choice for your tank, maybe with a good variety of tetra. and everyone likes corys for sure! :mrgreen:

Aquaclear sells intake extenders for their filters which are pretty cheap. Get a few extensions until the intake strainer around 3 or 4 inches from the bottom of the tank substrate.

Rams are great fish but I would not reccomend them in a new tank or to anyone w/o a lot of experience. They are very sensitive to water conditions...

I would also say that a AC300 is a little on the low side for filtration in a 60, especially if you go with African Cichlids which produce a lot of waste.

Aquaclear sells intake extenders for their filters which are pretty cheap. Get a few extensions until the intake strainer around 3 or 4 inches from the bottom of the tank substrate.

Treue, but they will move less water the lower they have the intake.

I also agree that an ac300 is on the low side for 60 gallons. I'd go with a cannister of some sort, a zillion to choose from.

I have a 25 hex, and they are difficult tanks. I have fish at the top, and some at the bottom, nobody likes the middle! Not to mention they are diffficult to work in, due to the depth.

"Treue, but they will move less water the lower they have the intake."

Naw, the important distace is the top of the water surface to the surface of the filter. Even if you have 10 feet deep of intake length, the only distance that the filter has to pull the water up is a couple inches, physics will fill up the rest of the tube. The lower the water surface is, the hard the filter has to work to pull up the water. Think of it this way, if you put an empty straw into water, it fills with water by itself, and you only have to suck up a couple inches. Now take three straws and put them together, then try to drink water with only one inch of straw in the water :)

I think you could keep angels in there, as they benefit from a tall tank. Otherwise a nice large school of small tetras and maybe a couple of gouramis or something. Corys for the bottom, of course! Tall tanks are certainly tricky for a number of reasons. Is this your first aquarium?

All,

First of all thanks for the advice.

Answer to some questions.

Yes/No, It's my first tank in many many years, but I've been reading up for the last 6-9 months or so getting ready for it so I don't feel completely overwhelmed just a little indicisive. (Wife finally got tired of hearing me talk about fishes and got me the tank to do something about it.)

Filter issues. I thought the 300 was a right on the edge of what I wanted but the 500 I tried to upgrade to was to large to hang on the side and I'm not sure that I want to spend the money on a Canister, but that said a canister was originally what I was thinking for filtration. I might have to revisit that topic, or maybe get a small canister for additional filtration.

I was actually thinking some Angels with Neon Tetras but that's as far as I had gotten. Anyway thanks of your thoughts I'll keep you all apprised on my progress. I'm hoping to have all of my decions made in the next week so I can start setting up the tank.

_____

Doug

fyi, neons are angels dinner in their natural habitat. so i wouldnt put them together! 8O

I have serpaes with angels and no problems. I also have white clouds and a single, lonely cardinal tetra, but if the angels grow up with the smaller fish it is usually not a problem. Neons might be a bit too tempting, tho! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom