65 Gallon Upgrade :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally I got my parents to agree to let me to get a bigger tank :D. I've decided to get a 65 gallon,probably not till around christmas though :/ dimensions are 36 long 18 wide and 24 high I was going to get a 90 gallon but my parents are worried about it falling through the floor. As of now my plan is to have dirt substrate capped with sand or gravel (which would be better?) I plan to have it planted with 156W of t5ho lighting. As for stocking I'm thinking two schools of about 15 fish 1 being rummynose and the other undecided? And I'm stumped from there so all stock options appreciated, you can even ignore the tetras I just want ideas :) as for filtration would a marineland penguin 200b and aquaclear 50 be enough? Thanks so much you guys have brought me from a 5.5 gallon to soon to be 65 gallon:lol:

i would do a sand substrate. then i would do this as for stocking:
15 rummynose tetra
10 glowlight tetra
a pair of german blue rams
10 or 15 panda cories
and maybe a trio of pearl gourami.

I would do angels and larger tetras and rainbows. Or a full cichlid tank they would both look awesome. I hope that you realise that if you have lighting that is that powerful you will have to invest into c02 or you'll most likely have huge algae issues. When you have a planted tank you need to have a good balance between lights ferts and c02. So when you have t5ho no c02 your plants can't use up the light because they are missing c02. therefore they cant compete with the algae for nutrients.

I was thinking but give me your opinions on it :)
10-15 Rummynose
10-15 Cardinal or emperor
Pair of german blue rams
and maybe an angel what do you think?

Alternate option 75 gallon with one large cichlid and a school of 10-20 tiger barbs but do you know of any large cichlid jack dempsey, green terror, oscar etc that will be fine with plants?

Well I would do this.
15 Rummy Nose Tetras
15 Cardinal or Neon Tetras
6 Denison Barbs
10 Cory Catfish
1 Rubberlip Pleco
2 Angel Fish
And if you want you could down the schools of Tetras to 10.

I know it would be slightly overstocked 2% according to aqadvisor but what do you think of
-15 Rummynose Tetra
-15 cardinal tetra
-2 german blue ram
-2 apistos
-1angel
-10 cory
I might skip the cories though due to cost :$ would all these species be ok with plants? any suggestions for bottom dwellers?

Add some Denison Barbs. 4-6 would be perfect and look great because they're bigger than most of the other fish. Btw I love the stocklist so far!! ;) and go with the 75 bigger is better. Maybe a Pleco too??

Yeah I like that idea too. If you don't get the cories I would get either a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco.

I love denison barbs, they are cool fish. They would be a great addition to the tank.

I don't know anything about apistos, but your other fish would be compatible with plants.

Would this stocking be fine with a 72 gallon bowfront? Because my desk isn't quite 18 inches wide and the tank is 16 at the widest part so I may have found my perfect tank :) but I saw denison barbs are very expensive :$ I don't know if I have 240$ to spend on 6 fish lol

Thanks for the stocking I wanted lots of activity but the calm angel and rams to tie the tank together :) would there be any problems planting this tank?

Back
Top Bottom