7.5 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinnettjosh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive got a 7.5 gallon bowfront tank that currently has 5 cherry shrimp in it. However, theres not much activity in the tank and i would love to add some fish. Does anybody have any ideas for stocking besides a male betta? Or do you think i should just let the shrimp breed and end up with a ton of shrimp in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

CPDs
Ember tetras
Clown killies
Dwarf emerald rasboras
Chili rasboras
Sparkling gourami

You'll lose some RCS babies but as long as you have enough cover they should be ok with those nano fish.

I like my dwarf emerald rasboras. Easy to care for too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big of a school of the cpds or dwarf rasboras could i keep?

It's a 7.5??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well that changes nothing. Why do you think Ember Tetras are ok but not Neon Tetras? Ember Tetras have a maximum size of 2 cm, while Neon Tetras have a maximum size of 2.2 cm. I'm not trying to be rude it's just that I've never seen neons exhibit the need for the swimming space that a 20 gallon allows like rasboras for example.

I keep 6 neon tetras, 7 ember tetras. 3 glowlight tetras, and 3 ghost shrimp in a planted 10 gal tank. I would think a school of neons, or embers, would be great. Never kept the others, but whatever appeals to you...Alison

I keep 6 neon tetras, 7 ember tetras. 3 glowlight tetras, and 3 ghost shrimp in a planted 10 gal tank. I would think a school of neons, or embers, would be great. Never kept the others, but whatever appeals to you...Alison

Whoa. Not to be rude but that is totally overstocked.

As for the original post, have you considered a betta? or maybe a few male guppies? 7.5 gallon would be an awesome home for betta and shrimp unless you want multiple fish

Well that changes nothing. Why do you think Ember Tetras are ok but not Neon Tetras? Ember Tetras have a maximum size of 2 cm, while Neon Tetras have a maximum size of 2.2 cm. I'm not trying to be rude it's just that I've never seen neons exhibit the need for the swimming space that a 20 gallon allows like rasboras for example.

This is true. That said, I would still go with Embers over Neons because they're more forgiving. Neons can be rather sensitive to nitrates and pH/GH changes (especially during acclimation). Much of this is a consequence of many Neons being inbred to keep up with demand.

If you're able to get a good stock of Neons and religiously do water changes in a 7.5 gallon tank, a shoal of 6 will probably do fine. Embers will probably have a larger margin for error.

I dont want a betta. But i do like the idea of some male guppies. How many could i do in that tank? And would they mess with the shrimp?

Whoa. Not to be rude but that is totally overstocked.

As for the original post, have you considered a betta? or maybe a few male guppies? 7.5 gallon would be an awesome home for betta and shrimp unless you want multiple fish
I do realize that I am overstocked. However with monitoring the water and partial changes so far so good. And I am using the API Master kit. I also have Java ferns, anubias, Java moss, Marino moss balls, and somw wisteria in the tank and Mopani drift wood to make a blackwater tank. And by the way I did not find your comment rude at all. :). Alison

Ok, well... i have both neons and embers, i can assure the biggest neon I have could probably eat the smallest ember.. neons would be ok in a 10.. it's 20" long, the 7.5 may be half that. They do like to swim around a bit. You're not being rude, just wrong really..

Ok, well... i have both neons and embers, i can assure the biggest neon I have could probably eat the smallest ember.. neons would be ok in a 10.. it's 20" long, the 7.5 may be half that. They do like to swim around a bit. You're not being rude, just wrong really..

+1 to no neons in this tank. Too active. Embers would be an awesome choice though as well as the rasboras. (y)

How big of a school of the embers or rasboras could i do in that tank?

Back
Top Bottom