7 gallon minibow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loafimus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a 7 gallon minibow that I would love to turn into a planted tank. The problem that I'm having is that the top of the tank is missing. I don't have the light strip anymore, and would like to have just an open top planted tank now.

I've seen the lights that just hang above the tanks, but I dont know what they are, how to make them, or where to even start with them. I dont need a huge one, only about 25watts or so, which will be more then enough I assume for a planted tank of that size.

Any help with this would be great, and thanks ahead of time for the help.

Loafimus.

the hanging lights are metal halide pendants...too much for 7 gallons (the water would evaporate in a day under that much heat!)

your best bet is some kind of DIY canopy, or find a replacment minibow lid, and retrofit is (because the built in light is only enough for plants like java fern or anubias, and crypts)

If you could find a gooseneck table lamp that will hold one of those 25w pigtail fluorescents that screw into an incandescent fixture, you could try that as an inexpensive start. I have a 5-gal planted tank with one of these and the light is a touch yellow, but the plants are taking over completely, and I have to prune almost daily. I am using a Hagen CO2 unit for this tank, though. A long time ago I had a small tank without a hood and just used a table lamp, aiming it down right over the top of the tank, and it worked fine. You might want to get a piece of glass or plexiglass to put over the top of the tank to help with evaporation.

Otherwise if you want something that is nice and neat, then definitely go with Malkore's advice and get a replacement hood - I am sure you could find one.

Inexpensive = Good =)

Any chance you can point me in the right direction online for the lamps you are talking about? Just a picture of the bulb would work. I figure if I could find a nice little lamp to arch over it, I could rig it up to look quite nice.

As for a hood for the tank, I have seen pictures of open top planted tanks with the plants rising out of the water. I think that looks very very cool and would love to do something like that. Maybe I could get some nice plants to drape over the top to help control evaporation.

While I'm here, I may as well ask some other questions that I have floating around in my head. For CO2 dosing, would something like this be worth investing in:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19237;category_id=2873;pcid1=3349;pcid2=

Also, what substrate should I be looking at? What filtration, if any should I be looking at?

I think that is pretty much all I can think off right now, once again, thanks for your time =)

Loafimus.

That Hagen unit is exactly what I have for my 5.5 - they are good for tanks up to about 15 gal if you want to go to the expense. You could rig up DIY but be prepared for some serious growth that will need attention, and you will also need to know your KH and pH if you are new to dosing CO2 - a small tank is trickier to keep stable.

Here is a pic of the lamp I am talking about
fresh2_spiral_14w_tn.jpg

They are usually available at Walmart, Kmart, Lowe's, or anywhere that sells light bulbs - even the grocery store!

For a tiny tank like that, I am not sure about a big CO2 doser like that. You can always DIY with an empty soda bottle, hose, flow regulater, and some yeast. It works wonders in my 29 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom