72 Gallon bowfront question, Lid, Heater, lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robo-snickers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a few question about a 72 bowfront tank im setting up.

Do you know any good light fixtures for a good price/ Im looking for a duel T5HO. I saw some odyssea lights which were very cheap however they had mixed reviews. some saying good, others saying they started fires. Most reviews i saw where a few years ago tho on older model fixtures.

Should i get a lid or not? Im planning on keeping rainbows and rummynose tetras. I was thinking if i do need one i would get just a glass top, yet i heard it keeps to much heat in the tank. I read eggcrates tops make it so less light shines through.

And what kind of eater would i need for this size tank?

The odyessa lights are fine. Sure, they're no great shakes when it comes to light output, but you should expect that from cheapest fixture on the market. The fixtures that caused fires were the old power compact lights, and it's become more of an urban legend now. To my knowledge, they haven't caused a problem in some time.

That being said, LEDs are getting pretty affordable these days if you're willing to pay a bit more. I can't really offer much advice there as I'm not as familiar with the market, but we definitely have some members that can point you in the right direction.

Anything you put between the light and the water will absorb some light, whether it be egg crate, glass, or acrylic/plexiglass. There's probably some information out there about which absorbs the least, but I doubt that it really matters in the long run.

Regarding algae eats, what do you want to get? Getting a fish for the sole purpose of eating algae is silly in my opinion, as they A) don't actually eat as much algae as people tend to think or B) tend to eat algae that's not particularly troublesome. You choice of stocking should always come down to what you want to get rather than what you think the tank needs for algae control/cleanup/whatever.

Sorry I should proof read what i type. I meant Heater, what is a good affordable heater to use in that size tank. Will it be better to use lets say 2 150 watt heaters, or 1 300 watts.

Also i just had an idea for a lid. I have access to a laser cutter at my school. Do you think it would be fine to cut my own lid with acrylic I buy at a plastic store and cut small squares throughout to help the heat leave the tank but keep the fish in?

Acrylic tends to warp with heat and humidity. You would be better off using polycarbonate or just plain glass IMO.

Last edited:
I am not sure the laser cutter can cut polycarbonate, and i sense its probably very expensive. What is your opinion on eggcrates. I heard they dont allow alot of light through if if i want to get one it would be black to make it less noticeable. I think my light will only be an inch above the tank.

Back
Top Bottom