75 Gallon Center Brace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GF ND Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so I just came into ownership of a 75 Gallon Freshwater Aquarium. I have been doing as much research as I can but can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere about whether it needs a center brace or not. It is 1/2" thick glass, and from what i've read, standard dimensions (48" long, 18" wide and i believe 22" deep)

I am extremely new to the whole aquarium thing haha, I plan to have it as a freshwater tank, which is what it was used for previously. The friend i got it from did have it filled with water and it didn't leak at all, but he also didn't have a light of any sort on it.

If I DO need a brace, is there any way of making one without replacing the top frame (which which is about a 2 inch wood trim around the top and bottom). It does have the plastic lip for hood panel, just not the center brace.

If I do NOT need to make a brace, where can i purchase a glass top large enough for it?

Any info is greatly appreciated! :fish2:

You could go with one of those grid things but you would have more evaporation. I don't think you are going to find a one piece hinged glass top that will work in that measurement and I have a feeling the light will be far too heavy without the brace.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking you are going to need a center brace if you are going with hinged glass tops. You will need two of course. They are really beautiful and I could never go back to the "normal" black or brown hoods after I started using them. Word of advice: be very careful when cleaning them, any sand that gets near them can scratch them. The edges chip easily. You can remove hard water buildup with razor blades, white vinegar, and painter's rags.

Some more knowledgeable DIY members here could guide you on making a brace. It is good that you've got an inner lip in place already.

There may be a you tube video on it to get an idea of what you can do.

Back
Top Bottom