75 Gallon Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up my 75 Gallon A. Cichlid tank and im still wondering on the canister filter that I want. I plan on keeping 40 male A. cichlids in this tank and I planned on running 1 Eheim 2217 filter but I have been reading and people are saying that the GPH are way lower than advertised. So im a little worried, others are saying that fluvals are more powerful, but eheim looks like a much better built product. Also, people have mixed reviews on how clear the Eheims keep the water, this tank will be maxed out so i need to best available. Any personal preferences or experiences? What should I do?

Did you mean to post this in the cichlid section? I just saw that you did. Maybe the mods can close THIS thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you mean to post this in the cichlid section? I just saw that you did. Maybe the mods can close THIS thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Yes i did, if a mod would like to delete it feel free. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm setting up my 75 Gallon A. Cichlid tank and im still wondering on the canister filter that I want. I plan on keeping 40 male A. cichlids in this tank and I planned on running 1 Eheim 2217 filter but I have been reading and people are saying that the GPH are way lower than advertised. So im a little worried, others are saying that fluvals are more powerful, but eheim looks like a much better built product. Also, people have mixed reviews on how clear the Eheims keep the water, this tank will be maxed out so i need to best available. Any personal preferences or experiences? What should I do?
What are A. cichlids? There are a lot of genera that start with the letter A.

The rated output of all filters are far lower than the actual output. That being said, Eheims are usually quite a bit closer than other brands.

A canisters ability to keep the water clean will depend much more on the media you intend to put in it than the filter itself.

Eheims, excluding the Ecco series are a amazingly well built units. They are just solid. I haven't seen anything that comes close in terms of build quality. They are also expensive.

I have a feeling, depending on what A. stands for that you are going to need more filtration than a 2217 can offer but I would like to know that first.

Many many details need to be presented. 40 guppys in a 75 would pose a formidable challenge in consistent water clairty.. one cannister will have to be powerful and packed with proper media..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

African Cichlids from Lake Malawi, 40 in a 75 galllon over stocked to curb aggression in the tank. Would the 2217 be a good filter? do i need more?

I'm setting up a 75 gal tank too. A very knowledgeable person recommended the Fluval 06 to me so I bought that one. But it isn't yet set up.

I'm setting up a 75 gal tank too. A very knowledgeable person recommended the Fluval 06 to me so I bought that one. But it isn't yet set up.
I will research it. i think ive looked at it before and keep going back to eheim they just look like well built units.

Two things:

- You can't put 40 African cichlids in a 75g tank unless you are thinking about a really large colony of 'L'. multifasciatus. If you are thinking about something like the colorful mbuna from Lake Malawi then ~20 would be more reasonable.
- Yes, you will want more filtration. I would put either two large canisters or one huge canister for an overstocked mbuna tank. To better answer your question. If you wanted to stick with the Eheim "classic" line. That would be a single 2262 or a pair of 2217's. Peronally, I would do the pair of smaller filters. Plenty of other options from the flagship Eheim Pro 2080 or Fluval FX6 to the discount SunSun filters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom