75 Gallon Oscar and EBJD Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking at a tank for the living room, would a 75 be big enough for a Tiger Oscar and a Electric Blue Jack Dempsey?

Considering the ebjd will probably die after a few months than yes..ive heard its tough to aquire in the long living variety.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not for standard jd ' s.. quite the contrary, properly cared for and loved will buy you a 12 - 15 year old fish.. seems the color morphs are a bit delicate.. similar. To electric blue rams...

1 Oscar or the JD with something else. If you are up for a challenge you could try the ebjd with something passive. Most fail with them but some don't. If and its a big if you get it to 4 or 5 inches usually they reach adulthood. I have been considering trying this my self.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just counting the bioload, I would say a 110g would be minimum. That's ignoring the territorial nature of the fish. The nice thing is they have the same footprint as the 75g so you could just upgrade the tank if you really wanted to try it.

After more research on the EBJD I have decided against it. I am still thinking a Tiger Oscar in the 75, but seems boring to me by itself. I see alot of people mix Silver Dollars with Oscars. How would 4 with the Oscar in a 75 be?

I think the oscar wit silver $s would be too much. The oscar would get aggressive too. You could do the end with a school of dollars if you want

What about 2 dempseys??

Back
Top Bottom