Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

9 Danios (Rerio)
- or 7 Bloodfin Tetras
5 Dwarf Neon Rainbows (Praecox)
1 Black Ghost Knife
2 Angels
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Tiger Pleco or similar small Pleco
- or a school of smaller bottom dwellers?
1 Red Tailed Black Shark

AqAdvisor says I am overstocked at 104%. It also says I need more filtration than the SunSun 304 at 95%. I will add a sponge filter and power head if I have to.

I am not sure if the Danios will be ok or end up as food. They make a good dither fish though and they can get up to about two inches. I may switch the Danios for seven Bloodfin Tetras but they don't make as good dither fish as they don't tend to hang out at the top of the tank.

What do you folks think?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with 6 giant danios and instead of 2 Ángels i would get 1 and instead of a black ghost knife I would get an African brown knife still a cool knife fish they just stay smaller.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My experience says your danios will probably be fine. They've been much too fast for my angels or my RTBS to even think about snacking on them.

If your BGK is small when you get him, keep an eye out to make sure he's getting food. Ours was only 2.5 inches and was clearly being out-competed for food. He got thin and listless and we eventually had to move him into a separate tank to grow out some. Now that he's bigger it's not an issue anymore.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh7
I would go with 6 giant danios and instead of 2 Ángels i would get 1 and instead of a black ghost knife I would get an African brown knife still a cool knife fish they just stay smaller.
Why only one Angel?
The issue I have with African Knives is that the "black" version is not black and the "brown" one is, well, brown. BGKs are just too cool looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFoot
My experience says your danios will probably be fine. They've been much too fast for my angels or my RTBS to even think about snacking on them.

If your BGK is small when you get him, keep an eye out to make sure he's getting food. Ours was only 2.5 inches and was clearly being out-competed for food. He got thin and listless and we eventually had to move him into a separate tank to grow out some. Now that he's bigger it's not an issue anymore.
Do you think the Danios would be safe with the Knife (BGK or African)?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just do 1 because if they pair there will be quite a bit of aggression and if you want to try the BGK you can its just IMO they get to big for a 75.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #6

I never had a problem with mine. Knifefish are nearly blind and usually prey on slower fish while they're sleeping or sick (they eat the eyes out). The tank I grew him out in was just him and danios. I never lost any to the knife, he's not huge yet though, only about 6-7 inches, and still pretty shy so there's still time I suppose. I feed him at night with the lights out to try and keep him full and happy in the dark so he's less prone to eat my other fishies.

So I guess what I'm saying, is that your danios will probably be safe for the next couple of years. Once your fish starts growing into a monsterfish though, it's hard to say. Just remember that you may have to revise your stock and/or upgrade your tank at some point in the future.

I have to laugh at your statement about BGK being just too cool. I tried to talk my wife into a smaller brown one and she wouldn't hear of it either. LOL! The black ones ARE just too cool, apparently. We love ours. His name is Atticus, and he's ridiculously cute, spoiled, and very loved.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I would just do 1 because if they pair there will be quite a bit of aggression and if you want to try the BGK you can its just IMO they get to big for a 75.
I have no real experience with Angels but I would really like two. If it turned out that they were both males or both females would there still be aggression issues. If they get too aggressive could I separate them to relieve the tension?

Going to have to say you are right about the BGK. Potentially swimming only three or less body lengths would be a bit cramped. Plus, I think that I don't want to put a log or cave in the tank that is bigger than a foot long.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

There would still be aggression with the angels fighting each other and if you want a knife I would just get a African brown knife only get to about 10 inches and are still cool.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
There would still be aggression with the angels fighting each other and if you want a knife I would just get a African brown knife only get to about 10 inches and are still cool.
I think I will go with the ABK. Already broke the news to the wife (see below). One Angel, bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFoot
...I have to laugh at your statement about BGK being just too cool. I tried to talk my wife into a smaller brown one and she wouldn't hear of it either. LOL! The black ones ARE just too cool, apparently. We love ours. His name is Atticus, and he's ridiculously cute, spoiled, and very loved.
Yeah, my wife is kind of bummed. She already had a name picked out, Toothless, because she said it looks like the dragon off of 'How To Train Your Dragon'. I said she could buy me a 300 gallon tank and we would all be happy. I got "The Look".
Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #10

Yeah, my wife is kind of bummed. She already had a name picked out, Toothless, because she said it looks like the dragon off of 'How To Train Your Dragon'. I said she could buy me a 300 gallon tank and we would all be happy. I got "The Look".[/QUOTE]

LOL! I love toothless!!! Fantastic name!!

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Goo! | FRY!!! »