75 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennandjuicetm

Aquarium Advice Freak
We recently purchased a 75 gallon for $50! Now we just need stocking ideas. I don't typically get hung up on themes of fish orgin so as long as they all require the same basic water params they are okay. I want to set it up as a planted tank. Probably low tech to begin with then possibly higher tech as I learn more about plants. I would like one end to look like a forest and for that to gradient out to a grassy meadow look.

He wants big fish, I want large schools of small fish. We've compromised on a community of medium to large fish. Has to include a pleco, open to ideas on the species. I also want a rope fish.

Are you into angels at all? I personally (and obviously) love angelfish! Just one veil angel would be a nice centerpiece to your tank!
As far as schooling fish, I am a fan of tetras :) There are lots of different kinds to choose from. Try looking at bleeding hearts, black skirts, and diamonds. Beware however. Tetras are known fin nippers.
I'd also look into clown loaches. I'm not too familiar with rope fish so I'm not 100% sure what's compatible or not but from what I've read they are peaceful.

For some reason I thought angels were aggressive as they get older?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depends on the situation. Angels would primarily be aggressive towards other angels.

They will if course eat anything that fits in their mouth so guppies or small tetras would be snacks.

Maby boesmani rainbows

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Loaches are a good idea for bottom dwelling fun. Also may I suggest Congo tetras they're beautiful and well large for most community fish but still require a nice school.

If you're keeping larger, more active fish then you should consider a smaller Bichir! P. Senegalus Senegalus, P. Palmas Palmas, P. Delhezi & P. Palmas Buettikoferi are all smaller Bichirs that stay at fairly manageable sizes. Rope fish will also work very well too, just remember to keep them in small groups for maximum happiness!
But if not and you're looking for smaller peaceful fish then there's tons that would love a 75!

Yeah big fish IMO are over rated, it just makes it look like a little tank with smaller fish lol and you fill up your available stocking quickly.

With that said rainbowfish are awesome. Also there are A LOT of kinds of plecos some costing up to $100 for rare ones, how some fun with it, I know most people just want an algae eater so they just get a common pleco and deal with it and when it gets to big they give it away and get another.

Personally, a huge school of neon tetras would be SO awesome but since this is our hobby I have to deal with compromise haha. The pleco is his request, he wants a common but I know he won't want to rehome it when it gets too big so I'm looking for ones that get 9 inches or so. Didn't know the rope fish was schooling, good to know! Ibwas thinking pearl gourami. Wonder if a pearl and an amgel would do well together. How big are angels mouths when full grown, or in other words what should be the minimum adult size I should look for if I got an amgel?

Do bichirs need to be in groups? Could they live with rope fish and a large pleco peacefully? What would be the minimum sized fish to be kept with them?

Do bichirs need to be in groups? Could they live with rope fish and a large pleco peacefully? What would be the minimum sized fish to be kept with them?

To answer this, no Bichirs do not need to be kept in schools. Erpetoichthys calabaricus (Ropefish) are the only "Bichir" that actaully thrives when kept together.
Most other Polypterus will not mind other Polys so long as the tank is quite large and has enough cover for each one. The Bichir that works best with other Bichirs is the P. Senegalus Senegalus, being very peaceful and outgoing even in the presence of other Senegals. I've not heard of Ropefish being kept with Polypterus so I don't really know exactly how that would work. If you were to do it I would recommend a tank larger than a 75 gallon to be on the safe side. I do know however it would have to be a pretty large tank to comfortably, and safely, house Bichirs (who are best left one Bichir per tank) with Ropefish (who like the company of other Ropes).
Most Bichirs will tolerate larger Plecos so long as again there's plenty of cover and stuff to break line of sight and for one or the other to hide.

I have a 65 gallon that I am planning to set up soon and am looking for ideas. I really appreciate reading threads like this!

Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions on here. I love stocking idea threads!

Blind Cave Tetras are so cool!

I also like the Murray River Rainbow fish.

You could do 3 ropefish (that generally seems to be the perfect number for them). They are fine with fish that are too big to fit in their mouths, and are a peaceful fish. You could do a school of white skirt tetras or emperor tetras, etc. Just make sure if you get the ropes, you choose peaceful fish, otherwise the ropes could get bullied.

Please be sure your tank is fully cycled before adding the ropefish. Also ropes love to swim in and out of tubes and tunnels. If you have a hole anywhere larger than 1/4 inch, they'll escape. If your tank is secure and you can't find one, check your filter ASAP

Personally, a huge school of neon tetras would be SO awesome but since this is our hobby I have to deal with compromise haha. The pleco is his request, he wants a common but I know he won't want to rehome it when it gets too big so I'm looking for ones that get 9 inches or so. Didn't know the rope fish was schooling, good to know! Ibwas thinking pearl gourami. Wonder if a pearl and an amgel would do well together. How big are angels mouths when full grown, or in other words what should be the minimum adult size I should look for if I got an amgel?

It would take a while for a common pleco to get the big, if had mine 3 years or more and hes about 7", just put him from my 29 to my 150g. Clown plecos and bushynose stay smaller.

20 neons would work lol Um an Angel would eat neons but no the Gourami

Back
Top Bottom