75 gallon stocking ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe_kroger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey! I am new to this site but I am not new to fish keeping. My first fish ever was an awesome beta I kept in my room in a 10 gallon tank. It was so cool, it's what really got me into fish keeping, unfortunately the betta died after 1-1/2 years (natural causes). Then in the Spring of 15 I was doing some cleaning and stumbled upon my old 10 gallon tank and decided to give it a go again. BEST DECISION EVER! I got a new filter, heater, substrate and planted some plants in there and cycled it . About a month and a half later I bought 4 panda corys, 3 guppies (1:2 male to female) and 3 black skirt tetras. Some might say I am a wee bit over stocked but I mean there has been no problems for the 2 years I have had them and everyone is quite happy. I do weekly 25% water changes also. so that was keeping me content for a while then I moved houses last week and the person we got the house from left this beautiful 75 gallon tank with (sadly) abused fish. She had 2 serape tetras, 1 cinnamon loach and 1 (pregnant??) zebra danio. I was shocked at how dumb she was. By the looks of how dirty the gravel was with poop and food I don't think she had ever cleaned it out with a syphon.. Anyway I just moved the tank into my room, moved the fishes out, cycled and now am ready for a bunch of new fish for this massive and gorgeous 75 g aquarium!! I am thinking About rescuing these fish from my local mejier, 1 pearl gourami, 10 zebra danio, 10 cherry barbs,
10 cories, 1 fire mouth Meeki, 1 Siamese algae eater, 3 Serapi tetra and 4 cinnamon loaches. I have read up on all of these fish and absolutely love each and every one of them. I understand that the firemouth is a cichlid but is pretty docile and can be kept in a community tank. For plants Amazon sword (towards back)
Chain swords, Java fern, Java moss (up front)
Anubias nana, Water sprite and Anacharis. I have my tank currently at 77 with good filtration and do 25-40% water changes biweekly. It's somewhat planted now but will be heavily planted come next pay check. I know this was long but I wanted to in depth describe my plans and show I am knowledgeable and not some idiot thinking fish are going to be easy to take care of. I am really open to suggestions because this is the biggest tank I have ever had, let me know what changes I should make or any suggestions you might have :) here are the pictures of the 10 g community and the 75 g empty waiting for fish friends!!IMG_1480057554.645291.jpg IMG_1480057578.323746.jpg

That was a prize winning block of text to be sure!

Are you wanting to do a fish in or fishless cycle? I am guessing fish in as you have a full 10 gallon. But you can still do fishless if you use a plastic tote for the other guys.

Tank looks great, nice freebie unfortunately it was due to person not wanting them way before you got the tank.

The basic thing would be to go slow on the stocking. Unless you have them in a tote for temporary keeping until you get the big one properly cycled.

I always recommend reading the link for getting started in my signature. It has some great linked articles like fish in cycling, and lots of useful info for good tank keeping!

Not sure about the Firemouth, overall Cichlids are a group I am still learning about.

Congrats and very strange group of fish. The Meeki may uproot plants so get some NATURAL flat landscaping rock from the local nursery and surround them. Aslo give that Meeki some rocks, small pile back corner to hide around.

I agree with the above go slow. These fish all sound like they are in major rehab so infections are a mush greater threat. I'd also recommend some preventitive meds while in the tote such as a 1/2 dose Malachite Green. One over night before adding to the tank should do it. For the scaless and another 1/2 day with a little salt for our scale covered bubbies.

Once you are cycled you need to remember that Tetras are schooling fish. More is better.

Serpae Tetras ( nobody spells this right) should be in groups of 6 or more.

Skirt Tetras the same.

I'd move the Skirts over later and add more.

Zebra Danios lay eggs. The older females can get big and look fat whether or not they are gravid ( full of eggs)

I would not normally recommend a Firemouth in a planted tank or with little Tetras. They vary in temperament.

I had to look up Cinnamon Loach. We just call them Kuhli Loaches here. They need smooth sand and may dig up fragile plants. Hardy plants should be fine. They LOVE to be in groups. I'd have 10 in a big tank.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-oblonga

Research and go slow.

Just a suggestion, if you put a dark towel or piece of fabric on the back of your 10g you won't see your filter and your fish will look better.

IMG_1480412018.023176.jpg

Enjoy your tanks [emoji1360]

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! They were all really great ideas! I will post some pictures way down the line when everyone is moved in. As for the cycling, the tank is cycled and all the tests show it's great!. So far I have added 6 zebra danios, 7 serpae tetra and a pearl gourami in the tank. I am going to be adding more later in the month.

IMG_1480455482.798065.jpg here is the kuhli/ cinnamon loach! I am going to get 8 more of these guys down the line. I am a little stretched for money right now but he has been living on his own for this long What's a little longer? Thank you everyone for all of your help and I can't wait to get my tank all situated!!! [emoji3]

Back
Top Bottom