75 Gallon Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So here's my current stocking list for my 75 gallon tank that's currenlty cycling. This is just a rough idea of what I'm looking for and it's basically all that I'm looking for. I think it's ok for the most part, but I think I may have to many Gouramis especially with such a large school of TB. What do you think?

* = Definite must haves, although the qty may change.

(10) Tiger Barbs (mix of reg and albino)
(2) Gold Gouramis
(2) Opaline Gouramis
(2) Pearl Gouramis (if I can find them!)
* (4) YoYo Loaches
* (4) Bolivian Rams
* (3) German Blue Rams
* (1) Sailfin Pleco (from my 46 gallon)

Other options that I was considering:
approx (3) Swordtails (1 male, 2 female)
approx (6) Harlequin Rasboras
approx (4) Otocinclus Cats
approx (6) Silver Tip Tetras

If you lived near me you would have no probablem finding your gouramis, my lfs is pretty much a gourami, discus, and cichlid store.

I think gouramis cn get pertty agresive and territorial with each other. Thats my only thought. Otherwise seems pretty good as far as i can tell.

6 or more is a good amount of gouramis to get when going with multiple IME. Helps spread territorial behavior. I've heard the pearls can be more timid and may get beat up by others. Although, the male I have has become one of the aggressors in my 75 gal so I guess it really depends on the individual.
The stocking seems fine to me.

I don't know enough about the gourami interaction to really say, but something to consider is that the rams are going to be staking out territories of thier own. So things might get a bit aggressive in there. And the pleco is going to be getting dirty looks every two minutes. Not that anyone will really pick on him, it's just funny to watch rams deciding to protect thier territory or risk tangling with a pleco.

As for your optionals I dunno if I'd pick the swordtails, they tend to be a bit messy, and it looks like your bio-load is going to be up there. The harlequins are great addition, they handle the same water preferences as the rams very nicely.

Thanks - I am a bit worried about the number of Gouramis, but as it was mentioned I feel that having multiples like that would spread out the agression a little bit. I think with the Tiger Barbs though, I may cut the Gouramis down to a total of 3 or 4. I know that I'll be able to find the Gold Gouramis no problem, but I only saw one lfs with a Pearl Gourami and that was when I initially set up the tank in my office about a year ago. The Opaline has also been very difficult for me to find. Maybe I can get them special ordered, we'll have to see! :)

I know that Tiger Barbs can get to be about 3", does anyone here with experience have Barbs of this size? I'm just wondering how fast they grow.

If you're only going with 3 or 4 gouramis, I'd suggest getting all females.
I've seen tiger barbs at a good 2-2.5". They get somewhat higher bodied when older, from what I've seen.

Also, in addition to the above posts, I'd like to add to just put in 3 Bolivian Rams and 3 German Blue Rams. My Bolivians are getting bigger than I thought. Didn't realize they got to 3 inches. Mine are about 2.5 inches. And they do add class to the tank, so cool to watch. And mine love watching me too, :)

My rosey is at three inches now, but my tigers appear to have been stuck at about 2 1/2 for quite a while, but they got that way pretty quickly. I'm sure you've noticed, they're little pigs. After a while, I think they just get taller, if that makes sense. :biglol:

Lonewolfblue said:
Also, in addition to the above posts, I'd like to add to just put in 3 Bolivian Rams and 3 German Blue Rams. My Bolivians are getting bigger than I thought. Didn't realize they got to 3 inches. Mine are about 2.5 inches. And they do add class to the tank, so cool to watch. And mine love watching me too, :)
Funny you should mention this because late last night I was thinking of cutting the qty on these guys. I was thinking (3) BR and (2) GBR. Of course the GBR will be my last additions! Will a pair work of these work instead of having a 3rd? My luck I'll get (2) males that's my only worry. Are they really territorial when they adults?

ROK - Cutting the Ram qty down will free up some room for more Gouramis. I think I'll end up getting (6) after all. Do you have any experience with mixing the full sized Gouarmis with the Dwarfs? I've heard and read that you shouldn't do this, but I'm curious if you attempted it with any success.

So here's an updated list:

(10) Tiger Barbs (mix of regular and Albino)
(2) Gold Gouramis
(2) Opaline Gouramis (if and when I can find them)
(2) Pearl Gouramis (if and when I can find them)
(3) Bolivian Rams
(3) German Blue Rams
(4) YoYo Loaches
(1) Sailfin Pleco

Another fish that I'd love to get, but I'm NOT going to is a Ropefish. I remember that my father had one when I was a kid. That thing was so cool! I completely forgot about them, but I don't think I want one for this tank. Maybe my next tank... I'm sure there will be a next one... Darn MTS!! :lol"

When I got my 3 GBR's, was hoping to get a female. All turned out to be male, as you can't tell when they are small. Then I got 3 Bolivians. Couldn't tell them either. But now seems like I got 2 males and a female. No damage is done, just 1 male tends to shoo away the other male away from the female. Kind of like love taps. Doesn't hurt the other fish. The GBR's can mingle with them no problem, just keeps the other Bolivian away.

GouramiFanatic said:
ROK - Cutting the Ram qty down will free up some room for more Gouramis. I think I'll end up getting (6) after all. Do you have any experience with mixing the full sized Gouarmis with the Dwarfs? I've heard and read that you shouldn't do this, but I'm curious if you attempted it with any success.

I do have experience with dwarfs and larger gouramis. The dwarf was put in my 75 and he ALWAYS got picked on and got nipped fins. I moved him back to my 20. There was one exception though, I had an adult male gold gourami I kept with him that was incredibly peaceful and they never bothered each other. It really is a big gamble to mix them though.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on mixing the two because of the fact that the dwarf would get picked on. It was just a curiousity thing on my part. :)

I went to Petco today to pick up a new Ammonia test kit (I think I'll run out of my old one soon!) and they had full grown (or at least larger than normal) Tiger Barbs for sales. They had the green ones which were actually very surprising to me. They are really pretty and eye catching, although not as much as the others. I think my school of Tigers will be a mix of the regular, albino, and green. :)

Cool, but do you not like the blue gouramis? Do the stores around you even have those or it's usually just the golds?

I would personally prefer to get Pearl, Opaline, or Gold (in that order). One lfs mainly carries dwarfs and they'll occassionally get in the gold, blue, and moonlight (I think that's what they're called). Another lfs has mainly gold and another lfs has mainly gold and blue/three spot. I've only seen pearl and opaline at one lfs and that was a long time ago. I think they might be able to special order for me, but it makes me wonder why they never carry them. :roll: They would sell for sure, they're very pretty.

Back
Top Bottom