75 Gallon Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I want to get a Black Ghost Knife fish off live aquaria...says it will be 4-5 inches when it arrives. Would it be okay to get a blue lobster at the same time ? I wanted to get a rope fish first but they are out of stock...and the shipping itself is crazy so I wanted to get 2 things at once to make the hit on my wallet a bit easier.

Im still trying to figure what else I want to stock the tank with. Maybe one or two more fish.

I hear those lobsters are tough and will snap at anything that swims by. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ghose Knife Fish would have a hard time together with it...

I spent some time watching a couple lobsters at my LFS last weekend. Really cool BUT I just don't know how they really do. Is it worth it in the long run for them to be snapping off fins of other fishes?

I'm working on stocking a 72 gallon - I have no idea what else to put in there other than my marble angel and my pearl gourami.

What are you stocked with?

I'm working on stocking a 72 gallon - I have no idea what else to put in there other than my marble angel and my pearl gourami.

You could put the baby cherry barbs mentioned in your sig in there. :)

I don't have anything in it yet. Just finishing up my fishless cycle. I went to a bigger tank because I wanted the blue lobster. Then I came across the BGK -
and really liked it too. Was hoping that the size of the BGK would deter the lobster from messing with it.

Would like to get a rope fish and maybe a red tailed shark...but not set in stone.

We thought the lobster looked cool too. After it ate a bunch of our fish we took him back a lot bigger. Many fish sleep at night and hang at the bottom. Easy prey for a craw that goes on safari at night.

We thought the lobster looked cool too. After it ate a bunch of our fish we took him back a lot bigger. Many fish sleep at night and hang at the bottom. Easy prey for a craw that goes on safari at night.

What type of fish did you have ? I was trying to find some nocturnal fish...like the BGK that could take care of itself in the night time.

I may try it and see how it goes...... I really want a blue lobster....

He ate mostly neon's and got one of our dwarf gourami's. If it's a small fish he can have it eaten before the lights come back on in the morning. He only had half of the gourami eaten when we busted him.

I had one girl at a LFS tell me that she feeds her crawfish pieces of fish and he left her other fish alone.

Give it a shot. The worst that can happen is he eats some of your fish, right?

How big is the dwarf gourami ? Do I think with more aggressive type fish that could hold their own it would work ?

Our Dwarf Gourami was about 2 inches (maybe 2.5). I think you need to consider their sleeping habits. Doesn't really matter how aggressive they are if they sleep near or on the bottom. This would include caves and hiding spots. That makes them vulnerable to a crawfish that hunts by night.

If you really want a crayfish, maybe try looking into a CPO? They're an orange dwarf cray that I've heard do fine with fish. Don't take my words as gospel--this is second hand--but is a suggestion. :)

I'm obsessed with the blue one ! Maybe I will set up the 20 gallon I have empty in my garage and do a species only tank for the crayfish....

I understand--I prefer the look of the blue ones too :) I think a species tank is the best option if you don't want to risk losing fish--I've not heard of any long term success with them and fish in the same tank.

I agree with the species only tank. I get far too attached to my fish to wake up in the morning and see 1/2 of one eaten by a lobster :() Yes they're cool - but I don't play that game! Enough stress in my life without subject my fish to nighttime abuse!

My Cherry Barbs that you see in my sig are going back in to my 36 gallon when the 72 gallon is up in going - they picked on my Gourami.

My brother in law is taking a school of Cherry Barb babies when they're ready (probably just another month) and I think they other school will go to my friend who sells fish - I'll exchange them for something else I want. Love the cherry barbs but who needs 17??? And knowing the school I have, they'll probably have more!! Yikes....

So I have my BGK and a red tailed shark in the tank....anyone know where to get a rope fish ? Live Aquaria has been out of stock for awhile.

Was doing some research for maybe 2 more medium sized fish go put in. I saw some threads talking about Gold/Green Severum and Blue Acara's as tank mates for a BGK. I'm not very familiar with either but it sounds like these are milder cichlids. Can anyone comment ?

And now that I have my BGK I am having second thoughts about the blue lobster...I don't want anything to happen to him !

Back
Top Bottom