75 gallon stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexinicole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I am currently trying to research and plan out what fish I would like to have in my new 75 gallon tank when I get it cycled. The fish that are currently in my little 10 gallon will be moved over and I know that I definitely want kuhli loaches, but I'm looking for some suggestions on what else to put with my current community. I've only ever had small tanks so I'd be interested in a maybe 1 or a few larger fish to go along with my smaller schools. Open to all suggestions. I've also had someone offer me a smaller pleco that needs a new home due to moving and I'm trying to decide whether to take him or not. Thoughts? Here's what I have so far:

1 dwarf gourami
1 Dalmatian molly
5 neon tetras
1 mystery snail
5 kuhli loaches (don't have yet, but very interested in keeping)

Thanks!:fish1:

In a 75g I'd go at least to 10 on both the neons and khulis. There are some cichlids that get along in a community tank usually, and have neat personalities. I've also heard pearl gourami go nicely and are bigger, if you wanted to swap that out for the dwarf gourami.

What kind of pleco is your friend offering? I'd be very careful in accepting one unless I knew it was a smaller species

Thanks for the advice. I probably will increase my numbers on the kuhlis and tetras. I'm pretty attached to my little gourami so I'm not looking to rehome him quite yet if possible. What about an angel? I've still got to go take a look at the pleco, but I agree. I'm pretty hesitant unless he's a smaller one. Don't want him to get huge and totally take over the tank.

Now that you got a big tank, you've have a great opportunity to expand your horizons regarding fish selections. Don't limit yourself to the traditional entry level fish. You probably will become bored with those. Instead of Neon tetras, research Columbian or Buenos Aires Tetras. Instead of Dwarf Gouramis, look at Dwarf Cichlids, like Bolivian or German Blue Rams.
Like Toad warned, do not stock a common pleco, only small varieties. Be sure to install a high quality power filter. Have fun with the new tank.

I'm pretty attached to my little gourami so I'm not looking to rehome him quite yet if possible.

Ah, gotcha. I missed that you already had him lol. An angel may eat your neons, although I've heard getting them very young and raising it with them can help.

The most important thing is to take your time and get what you want. Don't settle, I've seen (and been) people who settle for a fish that they were meh about because it was cheap, or easier to get a hold of, and it often leads to not liking the setup.

Yes I totally agree! That's why I'm researching so much now before I'm even cycled haha I'm an obsessive planner. Any suggestions on what cichlids work well in community aquariums? I know some can be aggressive, but for the most part I am unfamiliar with them.

Cichlids with neons are going to be fairly limiting since most of them are big enough to eat neons.

I would recommend a pair of Keyhole cichlids or a group of bolivian rams. Both are generally very peaceful and are good fits for a typical community tank.

Back
Top Bottom