75g Stocking Suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chunks-McGoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am not new to aquariums, though I haven't had any fish in several years. I have a planted, 75g tank cycling right now, it has good filtration (Fluval 205 and 305) and I am going out of town in a week and a half, so I am waiting a couple weeks to stock (should be well cycled)

I want to do a Schooling/Community tank, 1.5-3 inch fish.

So far I have decided: ~4 Otos
4-6 Cories
~8 Cherry Barbs
~8 Black Phantom Tetras

I would like and can support prolly another school, but I can't figure out what, exactly. Some extra color would be nice, but the pH is too high for Cardinal Tetras, I have heard Neons aren't very hardy, but still a possiblity. Maybe some guppies (do they school if you have a group?) possibly Harlquin Rasboras. I was thinking of a few Mollies, but I have heard they can be aggressive with other species...

Anyhow, if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them, Thank.

Platy's can be found in bright yellows and reds. Same with swordtails. I have Platys (LiveAquaria calls them Pineapple Platys) that do well in my high PH water, don't bother any other fish and are quite active / pretty.

Chunks-McGoo said:
I am not new to aquariums, though I haven't had any fish in several years. I have a planted, 75g tank cycling right now, it has good filtration (Fluval 205 and 305) and I am going out of town in a week and a half, so I am waiting a couple weeks to stock (should be well cycled)

I want to do a Schooling/Community tank, 1.5-3 inch fish.

So far I have decided: ~4 Otos
4-6 Cories
~8 Cherry Barbs
~8 Black Phantom Tetras

I would like and can support prolly another school, but I can't figure out what, exactly. Some extra color would be nice, but the pH is too high for Cardinal Tetras, I have heard Neons aren't very hardy, but still a possiblity. Maybe some guppies (do they school if you have a group?) possibly Harlquin Rasboras. I was thinking of a few Mollies, but I have heard they can be aggressive with other species...

Anyhow, if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them, Thank.

Most fish can easily adjust to Ph, so I don't think you'd have a problem.I've never heard of Mollies being aggressive, so I think you'll be ok. How about this:
6 ottos
8 orange laser/panda cories
8 guppies
8 black phantom tetra
1 rainbow shark (centerpiece)
3 mollies
1 bristlenose pleco
Does that sound alright? Barbs can be kind of nippy, which is why I didn't include them, but I wouldn't risk it.

I am staying away from the Shark idea. I have thought about a 'centerpiece' type fish, but between aggression and the fact that my tank is a little older and for the time being is going to have a few openings near the filter tubes in the back, I don't wanna risk it. I have heard too many stories of Rainbows jumping out. plus a 6-8 inch shark can prolly eat a 2 inch fish.

Chunks-McGoo said:
I am staying away from the Shark idea. I have thought about a 'centerpiece' type fish, but between aggression and the fact that my tank is a little older and for the time being is going to have a few openings near the filter tubes in the back, I don't wanna risk it. I have heard too many stories of Rainbows jumping out. plus a 6-8 inch shark can prolly eat a 2 inch fish.

Alrighty then. Maybe a Bolivian ram instead?

That's interesting...

So maybe 6 Otos
6-8 Cories (Emerald/Panda)
8 Black Phantoms
8 Cherry Barbs (I have experience with the Cherries and in groups of 6+ they are very peaceful)
8 Guppies (prolly blue for the coloring)

And would you suggest 1 Bolivian Ram, or should I try and get a pair together?

Might still leave some room for a few mollies or platys

Chunks-McGoo said:
That's interesting...

So maybe 6 Otos
6-8 Cories (Emerald/Panda)
8 Black Phantoms
8 Cherry Barbs (I have experience with the Cherries and in groups of 6+ they are very peaceful)
8 Guppies (prolly blue for the coloring)

And would you suggest 1 Bolivian Ram, or should I try and get a pair together?

Might still leave some room for a few mollies or platys

They're happier in a pair, but also a bit more territorial, but you could do a single as well.

I have a pair of powder blue dwarf gouramis that, while still pretty new (in the tank I would say 5-6 weeks now), are doing well. They are the closest thing to a centerpiece that I have. Neither bother any of my other fish or each other. They are my wife's favorites. We call them Jake and Elwood.

I also have a 75 my current stock:

~7 cherry barbs
~10 glowlight tetras
~6 julii corys
2 peppered corys (want to add 4-6 more)
2 powder blue dwarf gouramis
~10 "Pineapple" Platys
~3 White Clouds
1 Cardinal Tetra

Yes I realize that the cardinal tetra shouldn't be all alone. He wasn't always. I am thinking that my water parameters just aren't right (high PH) and the Cardinals haven't been able to adjust. Tried twice, with this lone little guy left. Don't want to buy more as I don't think my aquarium can support them well, don't know what to do with this guy...

I am hoping to add some Oto cats and a few shrimp down the line. But first I want to transition from fake plants (now) to low tech planted... and I have never done a planted tank so that will be a slow process...

Sorry..don't mean to be stealing the thread

Guppies would be good if you want monthly fresh food for the rest of the tank :)..they breed easier than rabbits unless, obviously, you get all males. Not sure if guppy males would be argumentative with each other if no females are present.

Platies are peaceful types and come in all sorts of colors. The only issue is that you need to make sure you have a few more females than males. Mollies are pretty colorful these days as well especially Sailfins. :)

What about Mollies / Salt? I have read that Mollies need a bit of salt.

I have also read that Platys like salt as well (I do not use it and they don't seem to mind) but I seem to read it about Mollies even more so.

Could always try a severum or festivum as your centerpiece. festivums get around 4-6". Severums about 9" max. I've seen both do well in community settings. That's if you're into cichlids. Maybe some serpae tetras or lemons.

Yes...both Platies and Mollies like a little salt but it isn't absolutely necessary. They breed better with some salt in the water as Mollies are naturally a brackish fish..they can even be slowly brought to live in saltwater. When I first started with a fishtank, uhm, quite a time ago than even I care to admit :) I fell in love with Mollies but had a typical community tank; Angels, Neon Tetras, Mollies and some older type of catfish I don't htink they even sell anymore :)...well before Corydoras' becasme the popular breed. The mollies did fine without the salt.

Most people don't put salt in for mollies. It's just easier without it, and the fish don't really care lol.

tlkng1 said:
Guppies would be good if you want monthly fresh food for the rest of the tank :)..they breed easier than rabbits unless, obviously, you get all males. Not sure if guppy males would be argumentative with each other if no females are present.

Platies are peaceful types and come in all sorts of colors. The only issue is that you need to make sure you have a few more females than males. Mollies are pretty colorful these days as well especially Sailfins. :)

I have 5 cherry barbs with 5 male guppies and have no issue what so ever. The guppies I have do however spend most of their day trying to figure out why they can't breed.

Well, thanks to everyone for the advice... In addition to my original plans, I am going to persue the Bolivian Ram, and likely a few mollies. Stocking should start around the 26th, I'll let you know what I end up picking.

Back
Top Bottom