Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

75g Stocking Suggestions...

I am not new to aquariums, though I haven't had any fish in several years. I have a planted, 75g tank cycling right now, it has good filtration (Fluval 205 and 305) and I am going out of town in a week and a half, so I am waiting a couple weeks to stock (should be well cycled)

I want to do a Schooling/Community tank, 1.5-3 inch fish.

So far I have decided: ~4 Otos
4-6 Cories
~8 Cherry Barbs
~8 Black Phantom Tetras

I would like and can support prolly another school, but I can't figure out what, exactly. Some extra color would be nice, but the pH is too high for Cardinal Tetras, I have heard Neons aren't very hardy, but still a possiblity. Maybe some guppies (do they school if you have a group?) possibly Harlquin Rasboras. I was thinking of a few Mollies, but I have heard they can be aggressive with other species...

Anyhow, if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them, Thank.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Platy's can be found in bright yellows and reds. Same with swordtails. I have Platys (LiveAquaria calls them Pineapple Platys) that do well in my high PH water, don't bother any other fish and are quite active / pretty.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunks-McGoo
I am not new to aquariums, though I haven't had any fish in several years. I have a planted, 75g tank cycling right now, it has good filtration (Fluval 205 and 305) and I am going out of town in a week and a half, so I am waiting a couple weeks to stock (should be well cycled)

I want to do a Schooling/Community tank, 1.5-3 inch fish.

So far I have decided: ~4 Otos
4-6 Cories
~8 Cherry Barbs
~8 Black Phantom Tetras

I would like and can support prolly another school, but I can't figure out what, exactly. Some extra color would be nice, but the pH is too high for Cardinal Tetras, I have heard Neons aren't very hardy, but still a possiblity. Maybe some guppies (do they school if you have a group?) possibly Harlquin Rasboras. I was thinking of a few Mollies, but I have heard they can be aggressive with other species...

Anyhow, if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them, Thank.
Most fish can easily adjust to Ph, so I don't think you'd have a problem.I've never heard of Mollies being aggressive, so I think you'll be ok. How about this:
6 ottos
8 orange laser/panda cories
8 guppies
8 black phantom tetra
1 rainbow shark (centerpiece)
3 mollies
1 bristlenose pleco
Does that sound alright? Barbs can be kind of nippy, which is why I didn't include them, but I wouldn't risk it.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #4

I am staying away from the Shark idea. I have thought about a 'centerpiece' type fish, but between aggression and the fact that my tank is a little older and for the time being is going to have a few openings near the filter tubes in the back, I don't wanna risk it. I have heard too many stories of Rainbows jumping out. plus a 6-8 inch shark can prolly eat a 2 inch fish.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
I am staying away from the Shark idea. I have thought about a 'centerpiece' type fish, but between aggression and the fact that my tank is a little older and for the time being is going to have a few openings near the filter tubes in the back, I don't wanna risk it. I have heard too many stories of Rainbows jumping out. plus a 6-8 inch shark can prolly eat a 2 inch fish.
Alrighty then. Maybe a Bolivian ram instead?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

That's interesting...

So maybe 6 Otos
6-8 Cories (Emerald/Panda)
8 Black Phantoms
8 Cherry Barbs (I have experience with the Cherries and in groups of 6+ they are very peaceful)
8 Guppies (prolly blue for the coloring)

And would you suggest 1 Bolivian Ram, or should I try and get a pair together?

Might still leave some room for a few mollies or platys
Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
That's interesting...

So maybe 6 Otos
6-8 Cories (Emerald/Panda)
8 Black Phantoms
8 Cherry Barbs (I have experience with the Cherries and in groups of 6+ they are very peaceful)
8 Guppies (prolly blue for the coloring)

And would you suggest 1 Bolivian Ram, or should I try and get a pair together?

Might still leave some room for a few mollies or platys
They're happier in a pair, but also a bit more territorial, but you could do a single as well.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a pair of powder blue dwarf gouramis that, while still pretty new (in the tank I would say 5-6 weeks now), are doing well. They are the closest thing to a centerpiece that I have. Neither bother any of my other fish or each other. They are my wife's favorites. We call them Jake and Elwood.

I also have a 75 my current stock:

~7 cherry barbs
~10 glowlight tetras
~6 julii corys
2 peppered corys (want to add 4-6 more)
2 powder blue dwarf gouramis
~10 "Pineapple" Platys
~3 White Clouds
1 Cardinal Tetra

Yes I realize that the cardinal tetra shouldn't be all alone. He wasn't always. I am thinking that my water parameters just aren't right (high PH) and the Cardinals haven't been able to adjust. Tried twice, with this lone little guy left. Don't want to buy more as I don't think my aquarium can support them well, don't know what to do with this guy...

I am hoping to add some Oto cats and a few shrimp down the line. But first I want to transition from fake plants (now) to low tech planted... and I have never done a planted tank so that will be a slow process...

Sorry..don't mean to be stealing the thread
Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Guppies would be good if you want monthly fresh food for the rest of the tank ..they breed easier than rabbits unless, obviously, you get all males. Not sure if guppy males would be argumentative with each other if no females are present.

Platies are peaceful types and come in all sorts of colors. The only issue is that you need to make sure you have a few more females than males. Mollies are pretty colorful these days as well especially Sailfins.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about Mollies / Salt? I have read that Mollies need a bit of salt.

I have also read that Platys like salt as well (I do not use it and they don't seem to mind) but I seem to read it about Mollies even more so.

Tags
75g, stocking, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com