8ft tank stocking question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trotty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently i am putting the contents of my 4ftx2ft and 2ftx2ft into the 8fttx2ftx2ft.
The list goes.....
2 9-10" ghost knifes
9 Discus
7 black widow tetras
15 red and blue columbian tetras
9 platys
4 bristle nose 1@ 4"
10 black phantom tetras
1 pictus cat @ 4"
1 Clown pleco @ 5"
10 borneo suckers @1"

I want at least another 9 discus and also have a breeding pair of gouramis that i will stock the tank with. I know its only time before the pictus will be too big... Goin to plant anubius (have alot in stock but not enough) thin val ( some tall thin grass like stuff) i'll decide the rest later....... Any suggestions would be great! :) Got heaps of filtration too. All canisters. And how much is too much gravel? I want to plant in pots with plant substrate for nutrience. so i need about 4-5" at the back.

That looks to me to be about 150 USG.

If it were me, I would do nothing but the discus.. maybe some of the tetras would be ok.

Your amount of gravel sounds fine to me; even if you went with that much thoughout.
borneo suckers? *shrug* Im a little lost on that one.

All in all it looks like too many fish to me excluding the pictus.
How often and what % do you plan on changing the water?

Too much, in my opinion.

Don't knife fish get really big and are pretty messy eaterss->lie leaving somethink in the tan for them to hopefully eat. I don't think they will be good with the discus at all.

As your tank is I wouldn't add any discus at all.

I also think if you add your breeding fish that you may not get any fry because they will be eaten by all of the other tank mates or spooked by the other large fish arond.

but thats just my opinion. If I had tank that big I would take to oportunity to have open space so I could see the fish swim naturally.

I am curious as to the total added volume. What is the third demension for the 4x2, & the 2x2?

Is the tank going against a wall, or will it be viewed from both sides?

Dave

Ya that is 239 gallons, it huge. I wanna see a picture of it.

Trotty has a pic of an 8' tank @ his gallery. Some mighty big fish in there!!

Dave

that tank will stay where it is for now. i have bought a hood now and it looks great.... It's really work in progress.. i will eventually put doors on the cabinet and enclose it fully.
The other tanks are 4ft x 2ft x20in 300L and 2ft x2ft x2ft 200L

As for tha breeding pair of gouramis, they would stay in the 40L and fill the 8ft.

I also have a pair of blue rams and golden rams too that will go into the larger tank. I've found they are only aggressive between themselves, unless theyre nesting.

The ghost knive are a worry to me too. They havent worried the discus yet in the smaller tanks. but they can only get bigger.

Thanks everyone

PS i do have a few pics in my gallery. Feel free to have a look :)

Venturing an educated guess here. The BGK is a nocturnal fish which will only eat what it can swallow. I would think the discus and the BGK could care less about being in the same tank.

BTW. Checked out your gallery pics. Very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom