9 dollar bichir. self control fading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok,at my lfs i found a dinosaur bichir for 9 dollars. i read like a dozen articles all of which said a 55 minimum. think i can get one? i have some black skirt tetras(there jerks. they try to kill things with long fins. they can be eaten.) 4 jewels(they should be okay,there getting pretty big) a rafael catfish(he just hides,wont be a problem) and my shark(again,getting big. should be safe).

I hear at least 75 gallons because they can get to the size like a Ghost Knife Fish. 55 would probably be a bit too small when he reaches full size. A tank at least 100 gallons would probably be best, in all honestly.

I feel your pain! I've always wanted one of these. :)

I don't personally have any birchir, but a friend of mine does have one in a 120g with a jag cichlid and they are both pretty aggressive and keep to themselves. I don't think a 55g will work overall, but might not be bad for a juvenile.

i decided to put this one on hold for a while. i was worried that it would eat my shark or female jewels

They have a tendency to hunt a night when the other fish are settled on the bottom and in somewhat of a stupor. They also don't see well and hunt on smell. They are very likely to eat or at least attack smaller sleeping fish. Also, they have a bad tendency to climb or jump out of tanks. Otherwise, they are really neat fish. I've had an ornate and a couple of ropefish. In my experience, ropefish, although longer, aren't as aggressive in their feeding.

Senegal bichirs are great fish. I have one. It will be a year old in Aug.( from when I got him). He is roughly 7-8" and WILL eat any small fish that fits in its mouth. He is housed for life in a 55 with cons. He cleans up the fry that make it to bite size.

They are seriously tough fish, he had been housed with both a RD as well as a aggressive Trimac. And they are as hardy as any fish I have ever owned.

I think the 55 is fine for it. Unless it hits like the 12"+ mark.

Also from my exseperiece they are peaceful fish as long as its tank mates can't fit I. It's mouth.

Back
Top Bottom