90 gal SA community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agwats

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dad asked if I wanted his 90 gal tank. He hasn't had it set up in years so I may need to reseal it so it will be a while b4 I can set it up. I like schooling fish so I wanted to do a community tank will several large schools of tetras and other peaceful south american fish. Any suggestion for centerpiece fish that would get along with everything else in the tank?

General stoking idea:
Hatchets for the top ; 4or so schools of 10-15 tetras and 1-3 centerpiece fish for the middle; 10 corys of some kind and 3 med sized (4-6 inch) plecos for the bottom. Planted with driftwood.

You could go for discus or angelfish for the centerpiece fish. Those wouldn't mess with the tetra schools. You could also look into to larger SA cichlids, but it would be better to plan the tank around them, as they have they potential to be aggressive with the schooling fish. I would suggest some larger catfish, but it seems like the bottom of your tank is pretty filled out with the plecos and cories. :)

Morgie said:
You could go for discus or angelfish for the centerpiece fish. Those wouldn't mess with the tetra schools. You could also look into to larger SA cichlids, but it would be better to plan the tank around them, as they have they potential to be aggressive with the schooling fish. I would suggest some larger catfish, but it seems like the bottom of your tank is pretty filled out with the plecos and cories. :)

I thought about a couple of angels, would they eat small tetras like neons?

Neons are actually their natural prey, so yes. You would have to add tetras that grew to be at least 1.5-2"
I believe discus will also eat small tetras, but I'm definitely not an expert on them.

agwats said:
I thought about a couple of angels, would they eat small tetras like neons?

Yes however the chances of this happening can be reduced if you by neons before, let them grow, and then buy juvenile angels and have them grow up with the tetras. This isn't always going to be 100% foolproof though.

I would suggest a single angel or two. Three always seems tone the bad number with them.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Yes however the chances of this happening can be reduced if you by neons before, let them grow, and then buy juvenile angels and have them grow up with the tetras. This isn't always going to be 100% foolproof though.

I would suggest a single angel or two. Three always seems tone the bad number with them.

I was thinking 2. And what about rams, would they eat neons?

or you could get really really small angels like size of a quarte but eventually a few neons will be missing due that angels in the wild hunt and eat neons

You could get cardinals. they're a little bit bigger then neons but look really similar and are less likely to get eaten

Oh ya I would do that anyways so you could watch it grow up. Even if there wasn't anything it could eat.

I think the angels would be a better choice if you want something for the middle ranges of your tank. Rams will hang at the bottom more.

i dont know anything about discus the only thing i know is that they are some kind of weird cichlid and they are very very expensive and fragile

Back
Top Bottom