90 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mschnex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 gallon tank that I let fall into disarray when my son was born and I'm finally getting it going again. It currently has 2 tiger barbs, a yoyo loach, and a rainbow shark. I was thinking about adding a few more yoyo loaches so that the existing yoyo has some friends to hang out with and getting a combination of odessa barbs and tiger barbs (for the existing barbs). However, I kinda wanted to get another fish that would be the only one of it's kind (my wife is especially attached to the rainbow shark due to the brilliant coloration on its fins as well as it being unique in the tank).

Any thoughts?

I think adding more YoYo Loaches would be a good idea. I'm also a big fan of Odessa Barbs. Odessa's like cooler water, 72 - 76 degrees. I learned that the hard way.
For a unique show fish. Research the (Berdmorei Botia Loach). I keep one of those. I emphasize just one because he killed nine of his brothers. Completely intolerant of his own kind. He doesn't bother any other fish, including my four Red Fin Botia Loaches. Truly a beautiful and uncommon Botia Loach that does just fine solo.

First of all, thanks for the suggestion. The Berdmorei Botia Loach is a beautiful fish (that I'd never heard of), but from a quick look, everything seems to say to keep them in groups and that keeping singularly could cause problems. Additionally, it looks like it might outgrow my 90 gallon tank.

I'll take a deeper look this afternoon, but I was kind of hoping to find a mid to upper tank dweller. Any thoughts for something in that level of the tank?

Finding a single show specimen for an Asian themed tank is a little tricky. If you want to venture outside the constraints of that particular biotype, I think a male Electric Blue Acara would be one to consider. Its a truly stunning fish.
A group of Denison Barbs would also look good in a 90 gal.

Back
Top Bottom