90gal fish selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay...i've done some research and this is the combo I like.

90gal 48"x18"x24"
4x96 PC lighting
Eheim 2217 cannister
CO2 supplement

Fish I like:

Zebra Danios 15
Neons 15
Dwarf Gourami 4
Clown Loach 2
Redtail leopard pleco 1
turqoise rainbow 2

I havn't looked alot into plants yet...I do plan on stem plants and jungle Vallisneria for a full background. Not quite sure on the mid to frontal planting. I do plan on some Driftwood though(not sure if this makes a diff)

Does anything here look off? This is my first large tank so i'm kinda nervous.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I might have posted this in the wrong forum...sorry in advance

Not bad, not bad at all. 15 zebras might drive me crazy. I have 7 or so, they just never stop zooming around! No aggression, just constant motion. The neons, imo, I'd wait a good 6-8 weeks, to let the tank settle in before getting them. The initial setup and moving stuff around, possible algae, I'd make sure those things are good before the neons. Not a gourami fan, I'll pass on those to someone who knows more. I don't have clown loaches, but I'm fairly certain they are happiest w/3 or more. That pleco, is it a dwarf species? you don't want a pleco that gets more than 5-6 inches in a planted tank, sheer size can cause uprootings and plant displacement. Rainbows, from all I've heard will do fine there.

Lots of fast growing stem plants to start, they keep all the nutrients in check to keep from having an algae explosion. I like jungle val too, just have to keep it trimmed at the surface (I've had leaves get 5 feet long, no exageration). Obviously, it will block light if too long.

Equipment looks good, but a little elaboration on the co2 setup might help. 90 gallons, you want pressurized for sure, diy won't cut it. You also may want a powerhead down in one corner, to keep the water moving well (deep, not near the surface, but I think you know that).

You didn't mention substrate, what are you planning on?

Oh yeah, good test kit too!

Havn't done alot of thinking about the substrate...kinda skipped my brain. I have read that it should be the 1-3mm type but that is all I know. Is it best to go with the smaller stuff and add the fertilizer to it, or should it be a little larger so it can be vaccumed? Also, does it make a difference on which plants I chose...will that affect which substrate to get?

Try looking into Onyx or Flourite substrates theyre packed full of nutrients fer yer plants. Gouramis do like to have slow moving fish in with them but it is a 90 gallon tank so I'm sure theyd be ok and theyre shouldnt eb an aggression problem with the gouramis cuz theyre dwarf varities. THe big ones tend to get mean with each other, I had a blue gourami that killed my two smaller gold gouramis :x
Whats your experience with plants?

i curently have a small 5.5gal with a java fern and a couple of others(not sure what they are). This will be my first go with a big tank so i'm going in kinda blind.

I do have to say that the advice here is fantastic!!!

Keeper said:
I do have to say that the advice here is fantastic!!!

Yea it def. is!

Java Fern will grow just about anywherebut its a really slow grower. I purchased 4 or 5 stemmed plant 2 yrs ago and since then it has only grown abbout 2.5 its size while my water sprite has taken over the tank. Where do you plan on setting up the tank? 90 gallons is alot of weight and if you live in an older house it could very well go through the floor. My father almost wouldnt let me set up a 55 in our house cuz of the possibility it would go through the ceiling :?

I plan on setting it up in the living room againts the wall. The joists will run perpindiculer(sp?) to the tank and there will be 3 directly under the tank. How much do you figure it will weigh when it is full? I really hope the floor holds it!!

I think its round 720 lbs but dont hold that to me and u really dont have to worry bout the weight unless your house is 100+ yrs old.

3 Joists will be fine, unless, as stated above, your house is really old or is seriously under building codes. I wouldn't worry.

Substrates, I use flourite in my 90, of all the substrates I've tried, I like that best. However, I've heard great things about Seachem's Eco-Complete, so give that some thought too. Use one of the substrates designed for planted tanks, that way, if/when you want to try different plants, you are good to go with anything. Changing out a substrate later, you can imagine the pain that would be!

In a planted tank, you aren't going to vacuum much, basically skim the surface of the sub., and get out any dead leaves and such. the fish poo that gets down into the sub, pure plant fertilizer!!! You still do water changes, just not deep gravel vacuuming.

Keep making plans, you're doing great, Keeper!

Go with 3 loaches--from all the info out there, they do like to be in threes.
As for a pleco--I would get a few small plecos. I have a common in my 80 gal with Mbuna cichlids (no plants there!). My pleco is about 7" and I can see that as he gets bigger, I will have to be careful where all the rock is just so he can move about freely. When they are a foot long, they can't help but knock into things :wink: If you go the dwarf pleco route--look into Bristle Nose, Rubber Lip (I have one and love it), pit bull, or clown pleco. In that size tank--you could get one of each (if you can find them).

awesome, thanks...what about the small, clear shrimp that eats algae and stuff or the "oto cats". Does anyone feel anything like that would be needed.

Unless you got a decent amount of the shrimp theyre not going to do much in a 90 gallon. Otto cats do a decent job at eating algae they like to be in groups but theyre kind of finkicky when it comes to water quality and should only be put into a well established aquarium. oh yea they stay small too.

sounds good to me. Thanks to all of you for the advice...very helpful. One last question before I step into the big aquarium. If I do a heavily planted tank with 2-4 dwarf plecos do you think I need to add anything else to help battle algae? :)

Not in my opinion but each tank is different so u might have a problem with it or not. I think youll be fine with 2-4 dwarf pleacos.

my 2 cents

Just thought i'd let you know that i have Eco-complete as my substrate in a low light tank and my plants are healthy and growing like crazy!

Also, you should be fine with the 4 plecos but just know that sometimes they can be aggressive towards each other if same species, so mix it up. 90 gal is aplenty of room but just thought i would give you a heads up.

I'm hooking up with a 120 gal shortly and have been contemplating whether to go with a Wet/dry filter or Eheim canister.....decisions decisions

Back
Top Bottom