90gal for Sale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found a 90gal tank for sale. After talking to the seller we've come up with a trade. I had a few questions for you guys first about it.
Here is the ad with a picture:
fish aquarium 90 gallon
I asked them if it came with anything and they said the hood.
So when it comes to supplies, if I was just setting up the tank for plants to start out with (and add fish eventually) what supplies will I need and how much will it all cost?

A quick response would be great. Thanks in advance!

I mean like filters, heaters, etc...I don't know much about that.

what I did when we decided to get a 55 gallon tank was to go to Petco (only store close) and price out the various components. then I went on line and did some research and got pricing from other on line retailers.
hope that helps a little...

Filter: probably one big canister or two big HOBs.
Heater: a big one, like a 350watt, or two smaller ones, better yet an inline one if you go canister filter.
Substrate: gravel, sand or dirt.
Ammonia: pure, no surfactants or perfumes, to cycle the tank.
Lighting: for growing the plants, depending on what it comes with.
CO2 system: optional, depending on your lighting.
Fertilizers: dry or liquid, root tabs.
Cleaning tools: algae scrubber/scraper, long pipe cleaners, gravel vac or Python type thing.

Likely other misc things.

Look up online tank setups and Find people who list their components. You will need a pretty hefty filter. I would get one labeled for Atleast 100g or two 50g ones. Depending on what fish you decide then get a heater but I would get that last. I'd say you could get a decent one between 50-100$. Lighting doesnt need to be great but again look up what fish you want. A tropical fish might look and do better under nicer lighting. I would say appearance wise lighting is the mos expensive component I'd invest around 100$ minimum (long term). Not necessary when you first start though.

Everything else is really up to you as far as water, gravel, plants. I'd say get gravel/ substrate online an plants at petsmart or something where you can see what you are getting.

You might want a small powerhead to give extra current especially if you like high energy fish.

I would also figure out how you want to fill your tank. Most people recommend an RO unit but those are around $300-400 (probably worth it long run). I use filtered tap that has been treated with aqua clear or something I forget the name. I would ge an RO unit if I had the money though

RO unit is not needed. Tap water (or well water) will be just fine with a good water dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom