9g Without a Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,
I am going to set up a 9g freshwater tank at work. Lights and filter, but no heater. Temps range from 68 to 72.

What could I put in here that would thrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cherry shrimp can deal with lower temps, as can guppies and platy variatus. Google subtropical aquarium fish, you'd be surprised at what you'll find.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cherry shrimp can deal with lower temps, as can guppies and platy variatus. Google subtropical aquarium fish, you'd be surprised at what you'll find.

Subtropical! Never heard that term before. I am off to google...

Goldfish get far too big for a 9g

Yeah i have a 10 gal with goldfish

Ok I wandered a few of the local stores and I just keep ooogling the puffers. Gonna have to put in a heater....

Aquarium kid, goldfish still get too large for that size tank.

TMaier, you could probably get away with two dwarf puffers as long as you have plenty of plants/decor to break up eyesight. Also, read up on choosing healthy stock and avoid any with sunken bellies. They tend to need a little more filtration because of how and ehat they eat, you may want to look into starting a small snail tank to keep up with them. I think they're so neat.

Aquarium kid, goldfish still get too large for that size tank.

TMaier, you could probably get away with two dwarf puffers as long as you have plenty of plants/decor to break up eyesight. Also, read up on choosing healthy stock and avoid any with sunken bellies. They tend to need a little more filtration because of how and ehat they eat, you may want to look into starting a small snail tank to keep up with them. I think they're so neat.

I'm lousy with juicy little snails. Lol

Lol sounds like your good then. Good luck with your puffers :)

Are there any alternatives to heat a tank without actually putting a heater in it?

Are there any alternatives to heat a tank without actually putting a heater in it?

1. In-line heater hooked up to a canister filter.
2. Heater placed in a sump.
A very small canister might work for your tank.

What kind of climate do you live in? A family friend of mine lives in East Asia and she has no heater because of the high 30-40s temps there.

I have successfully bred guppies and had platies without a heater but dwarf puffers sound awesome.

It's going to my office. 68-73 temp range.

I've seen them for bowls. 9g is getting pretty heavy with rock etc....

Back
Top Bottom