?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I just gave away my 3 balloon mollies, as they did not look happy in my 10 gallon tank (I miss them so much!!! :bawl: ) I was wondering if my biological filter can go awhile without an ammonia source from the fish waste. (There is still some fish poo left in the tank from the little living dump trucks, I know tmi! :lol: ) Will it be okay? (I know I'm probably overreacting!)

Thank you! :thanks:

The molly waste should supply your BB for about 2 weeks. My estimate. Only 3 mollies in a 10g? Why was that a problem? Mollys love about 1 tsp salt per 2g. as they come from brackish biotope. My best luck with mollys was to have them in a mollys only tank. OS.

Can you please define "awhile"? Do you mean days or weeks or longer? The majority of ammonia production in fish is actually excreted from their gills via respiration. The amount in their waste is actually nominal in comparison.

I believe the OP made a wise choice by rehoming the mollies. Mollies can grow quite large, are very messy, and are very active and need space.

I would say you're best off getting your new stock as soon as possible to preserve your BB colony.

Can you please define "awhile"? Do you mean days or weeks or longer? The majority of ammonia production in fish is actually excreted from their gills via respiration. The amount in their waste is actually nominal in comparison.

I'm probably getting fish on monday. I do have some bottled ammonia that I can use if needed.

The molly waste should supply your BB for about 2 weeks. My estimate. Only 3 mollies in a 10g? Why was that a problem? Mollys love about 1 tsp salt per 2g. as they come from brackish biotope. My best luck with mollys was to have them in a mollys only tank. OS.

Do you think it will be okay for 4 days? Like I said, I do have some bottled ammonia. Should I add like 1 ppm?

Back
Top Bottom