?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
(I already posted this thread, but nobody responded, so here it is again!) Hello! I gave away my 3 balloon mollies 3 days ago because they overstocked my 10 gallon tank. Anyway, how long can my bio-filter go without an ammonia source from the fish? I can't add my new fish until Monday. (I'm at my mom's house, and my dad is out of town, but the tank is at his house). Is this okay? There is still some molly poop left in the tank; will this supply the beneficial bacteria with ammonia until Monday?

:thanks: Thanks! :thanks:

You can just toss a little fish food in there and feed the BB

I would (I actually have pure bottled ammonia), but like I said I'm at my Mom's house, and my dad is out of town (the tank is at my dad's house)...Will the beneficial bacteria be okay for 4-5 days without ammonia? Or do I have to cycle my tank ALL OVER AGAIN? (There is still molly poop left from before I gave them away...)

I would (I actually have pure bottled ammonia), but like I said I'm at my Mom's house, and my dad is out of town (the tank is at my dad's house)...Will the beneficial bacteria be okay for 4-5 days without ammonia? Or do I have to cycle my tank ALL OVER AGAIN? (There is still molly poop left from before I gave them away...)

I'd imagine you'd have some die off but not all. You're hardly going to throw yourself into full blown cycle all over again. A mini cycle perhaps. Just make sure you keep a close eye on your parameters when you put fish back in, and feed your bacteria in the meantime when you do get back.

I'd imagine you'd have some die off but not all. You're hardly going to throw yourself into full blown cycle all over again. A mini cycle perhaps. Just make sure you keep a close eye on your parameters when you put fish back in, and feed your bacteria in the meantime when you do get back.

So, do you think I should just add the fish? Anything I need to do? What should I do if I do have a mini cycle? (By the way, thanks for answering the question! (y) )

So, do you think I should just add the fish? Anything I need to do? What should I do if I do have a mini cycle? (By the way, thanks for answering the question! (y) )

How soon are you adding fish? If its 3-4 days then just add them, test your water frequently, maybe once a day, until you see all the levels are good, and do frequent small water changes (however much is necessary to reduce any spikes if you do get them). If you can't add fish straight away, dose with ammonia or fish food or whatever to feed your bacteria until you can add fish. Then, do as above. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom