:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FirstTime

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry that I could not come up with a better title.

I bought a 10g tank last night at walmart, set it up and was going to put fish in it today.

Woke up to the sound of watter dripping, thought maybe I was dreaming, stood up and my dream turned into reality. My feet hit water.

My tank somehow started leaking during the night. I cannot figure out where it came from, but the air pump was on, so it wasn't flowback, it leaked past the filter, so it wasn't the filter.

I'm not sure what to do, but now half of my carpeting in my room is ruined.

best course of action at this point is go to your local grocery store, or wherever you can rent a carpet cleaner, and suck up the water. do you have a garage that you can set the tank up in and watch where it leaks? if not i would just take it back. what brand kit was it?

I have a shop vac.

Can't the company be held liable for damages? I'm just lucky nothing on the floor was ruined.

Im sure if you wanted to go through the trouble you might be able to get something for your troubles but its just water. I would shopvac the crap out of it and go to walmart and they should replace it for free.

I would shop vac the carpet.
As far as the tank you can probably exchange it. If you're worried it will happen with the next one, then put 1 gallon in, wait a bit, and check for leaks. Add one gallon at a time and repeat the process of wait and check. If you do find a leak (it will probably be in a seem), then mark the leak with a sharpie on the outside of the tank, so you'll know where to add silicone once the tank is empty and dry.
Also, it generally not a good idea to add fish the day after you set up a tank. It needs time to cycle.

I think I'm just going to return everything and donate the fish. There are no other pet shops in my area, and I can't trust this tank not to leak again. I read other reviews about this tank and other complain of leakage.

You would think the company would leak test them.

Back
Top Bottom