A Big Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomHeart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there everybuddy,

I just registered, and thought I'd say hi. I'm just getting back into this hobby, after about a 8 year hiatus. Had a 50 gallon brackish tank back then, with Zebra Scats and Figure 8 Puffers.

I'm just about to purchase myself a 72 gallon Bowfront, and am currently deciding what I want to do with it. I haven't even decided on Fresh, Brackish, or Marine yet, let alone what species I might be interested in. Going back to the Brackish with Scats and a Puffer or two will be my most likely choice because I love those two fish so much.

I've forgotten so much that I basically am having to start from scratch again, learning everything. I initially was shying away from Marine, because I thought it was just so much work, and time to keep the thing up, but maybe technology has advanced enough now that I might try it. Just too many options open right now. :)

This site looks great, however, and I'll definitely be posting more when I start making decisions on what type of tank (fresh/marine) and what sort of filtering equipment to go with.

One quick question, however...The tanks with the overflows in the corner...are they only for marine environments, or would that be appropriate for a fresh/brackish tank, too? The difference in price isn't that much, but I dont want to buy the overflow model until I know what kind of tank I'm going with, if the overflow is not usable for anything but marine tanks.

Thanks and Howdy!

The tanks with the overflows in the corner...are they only for marine environments, or would that be appropriate for a fresh/brackish tank, too?

A tank with a built in overflow is not just for marine, but is commonly used for that. The corner overflows will requirea wet/dry filter or a sump. Wet/Dry filters are a good filter for freshwater, but most find they can achieve close to the same results withot spending quite as much money.

but I dont want to buy the overflow model until I know what kind of tank I'm going with,

Even though they aren't just for FW, that is solid thinking, I would decide on what type of filtration is going to best suit the tank ou want as well as your wallet...before deciding on the overflows or not.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com (y)

Howdy AtomHeart! and welcome!

I basically am having to start from scratch again, learning everything.

I've had aquariums for the last 20 or so years and I'm learning new stuff every day on this site.

Well, I'm making progress. :) I have at least decided that I dont want a planted tank. I will stick with plastic plants, or none, and just do rock-scapeing, or faux log-scaping. I dont want the challenge of learning underwater gardening at the same time that I'm relearning all my fish care knowledge.

I'm pretty sure I've decided to go with the 72 Bowfront WITH overflows, and run a brackish tank. This allows me to very easily go into Marine later, if I decide not to go into it now. I know that I do eventually wanna try a Marine setup, and brackish would be a nice way to ease into that, especially since most of my aquarium knowledge was about my large brackish tank.

But...the more I read, the less I'm scared of Marine setups...maybe I should just go Marine right out of the gate, and then save myself the hassle of converting at some point in the future. Triggerfish sure do catch my eye when I see them in the shops.
But then, a school of Zebra Scats is extremely beautiful, too. TOO MANY DECISIONS!!! :D

Alrighty! After a very pleasing visit to a friendly and knowledgable LFS today, my fears of jumping into a Marine setup have been eased considerably, and that is probably the way I will go. Now I just have to try not to let the added sticker shock of the Marine setups with Wet/Dry filtering, and overflow scare me away. :lol:

Great to hear. Come on over to the saltwater side of the site.

BTW, many of us dont overly like wet/dry filters on our marine tanks. More or less depends on what you want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom