A bunch of beautiful Betta boys.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To save money and keep the bettas healthy, I'd suggest floating pennywort in the bowls and adding more than anubias.

I had a betta in a filtered 2 and even 2x weekly water changes couldn't keep nitrates down. Lost several to fin rot. 2 gallon tank equals very little water.

In a filtered 3 it was better but I kept getting BGA.

Then I added an ozelot sword, micros word, crypts, and floating pennywort. Weekly water changes were finally enough, no algae, nitrates a steady 10.

Funny thing though, after the filter died, the water quality was zero across the board and I never did another water change. I think fresh2o gave me the suggestion to try to go without a filter.

So yes I believe the air stone would be enough in a 3 with a ton of plants, some floating. Better than a filter with fewer plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have a 5 gal aqueon fish tank kit it comes with filter and cartridge you wold have to get the heater separate but their only like 20 bucks for a decent one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a 5 gal aqueon fish tank kit it comes with filter and cartridge you wold have to get the heater separate but their only like 20 bucks for a decent one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The kits arent really worth the money. You spend almost as much on it as buying those things separately and you will have to replace them sooner as they are lower quality items.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Just bought the first Betta!! Haven't got his own tank until later today but i just went to the LFS and couldn't pass up the deal on him. Picked up a pretty big male Salvini as well. Will try to get a decent pic of the Betta.

Also im using substrate, decor, and media that was in other tanks so its basically an old tank already :p i shouldnt have a problem with ammonia or nitrites or anything, since everything already has BB

You can get the Azoo Mignon 60 on amazon for about $20. I had them on all my beta tanks and loved them. I modified the media basket to set them up like mini AquaClears and they did a great job. Never had a nitrate issue, but I had a few plants and did big weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom