A couple of questions (Betta & tanks)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark1092

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a quick search in the forums but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, I'll make this as quick as possible without too much boring reading.

- I have a 5g tank with a heater, and a filter that sits above the water in a bar-shape form.
- I kept a betta, that just died. I'm not yet sure what he died of.

- What are the IDEAL water parameters for this tank that has been up and running for 6 months now?
- The filter media is cotton/stringy stuff. On inspection, it is blackish on top and looks dirty. I have bought new media. Could this old media have stopped working and killed my fish?
- If I put the new media in (which is also the cotton stuff), do I have to re-cycle my tank or can I just run the filter for a while with the fish water that's already in there?
- I have had issues with brown algae that increasingly got worse, what does this say to you?

Sorry for dumping all these questions on you, if I can help anyone with my experiences I will try in return.

Cheers.

Well ideal would be showing only nitrates I can't explain why the Betta died I never lost one I don't like to change my floss filter when I do a water change I rinse my filter in the old tank water and pop it back in as for the alge how often do you vacume your gravel?

I don't have a vacuum but I have a tube thing that siphons water... Shortly after I used this for the first time is when the fish died

You might have stirred up a gas pocket pretty common if you don't vacume I would just get a small gravel vac it will siphon water while you vacume so you can clean and water change in one

I took out about 10% of the water. Some people have told me to take out 25% water each two weeks... Everyone says something different...

I just tested my water and it's quite acidic (deep blue colour) and I tested Nitrates but I don't think it worked because the colour isn't even on the chart... It's like a greenish/blue colour that's see through.

Mark1092 said:
I took out about 10% of the water. Some people have told me to take out 25% water each two weeks... Everyone says something different...

I just tested my water and it's quite acidic (deep blue colour) and I tested Nitrates but I don't think it worked because the colour isn't even on the chart... It's like a greenish/blue colour that's see through.

What test kit are you using?

Aqua One... It's pretty much the only brand you can buy in Australia

Yeah it's almost the same amount but I like to do small amounts more often gets your fish used to being disturbed by you and less of a chance for something to happen to your water

I can't get the re-agent B (zinc crystals) to dissolve in the vial and it's really pissing me off, been shaking it for like 10 minutes... My Dad bought the kit for me and it was like 13 dollars and so far it's not even bloody working properly...

Yes it is. I also just took my filter stuff out and found a small bag of black little rock things. What are these do you think?

The black rocks are activated carbon. they remove organic waste from the tank, but most people here don't use them unless you are finished using medicines and need to remove tthem from the water. Also as far as test kits go.. most of us use thz API master kit for all of our normal water tests. They are liquid kits that are more reliable than the sticks.

I use them all the time but it's your choice charcoal is a natural can remove fish waste as well as other impurities brita water filters use them too so I think they do more good then bad IMO

They do work.. but only stay active for a matter of a week then need replaced.. so it gets very expensive over time.

Ok. Well I took them out because they could have possibly been in the filter for years without being changed or cleaning. I also replaced the filter floss. So basically my fish died... I replaced the filter floss and did a 40% water change... The tank is now 100% water and running with the filter and heater... How long until I can buy a new fish and put him in do you think??

Thanks for all the help by the way.

Back
Top Bottom