A Dramatic Centerpiece Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairustwo

Aquarium Advice Regular
For my first tank I have ended up with a odd selection of creatures.
5 neon tetras
3 african dwarf frogs
1 guppy
2 German Blue Rams
1 Sail Fin Pleco (at least for a couple of years until it is too big)

The guppy and the rams are fun to look at and the Pleco jumps around like a puppy once in a while the tank seems like it could use an Alpha Fish. At least something bigger and dramatic looking.

Any recommendations?

This is 20 gallon by the way. I realize that I may be on the verge of overstocking but some of the fish may move to another tank. The tetras and eventually the Pleco.

Ok. BTW, the pleco wont last a couple of years before it is too big, how big is he right now? They should outgrow a 20 in about 8 months, maybe a year.

Hmmm..a good alpha fish for that tank..some people like gouramis, I dont have any experience with them though. I really like the rams, I dont see why those arent the centerpiece fish for the tank, decent size (up to 3 inches) bright colors, active.

Actually for the time being, the pleco is the Alpha fish. I would remove the guppy ASAP, the GBR's just may want to check his finnage out.

After you decide on what to do with the gibby, an Angel would work very well, that is of course if you remove the neons. Most any other tetra will work with an Angel/GBR combo. I'm not sure about the dwarf frogs.

Wouldn't an angel be too large for this tank? I have a 20 high and was under the impression even that was too small for an angel.

I would remove the guppy ASAP, the GBR's just may want to check his finnage out.
Actually tht GBR seem more interested in eating each other than the guppie.

Maybe I should not add any more aggressive fish as the guppie is my daughters fish so taking it out is a non- issue.

The tetras were the fish the LFS sold me to start my cycle. They never even mentioned a fish-less option. I'm not particularly fond of them but there they are.

pairustwo

How about an snakeskin gourami? i have one, 5", and he is very striking cause his stripes fade in and out. really a magnificent fish taht always floats in the center. or maybe a pair of mollies. i have a pair, and they are so interactive with me that whenever i have my fingers in the tank to clean the glass, they dance in and out of them. they are very trusting.

The Rams could be picking on each other because they both could be male. Also I would let the rams grow up and be your centerpiece many of us here have rams as our centerpiece. You may have to cut the frogs back to 1 and dont try to plant your tank becsause the plants will end up as salad. If it where my tank I would just add 5 more neons or some other schooling fish and a few corys for the bottom.

You may have to cut the frogs back to 1
Why is that?
dont try to plant your tank becsause the plants will end up as salad
The plants are doing great. No one is bothering them.

The Rams could be picking on each other because they both could be male
that is possible. I tried sexing them, one is definitely more colorful than the other and one is defiantly dominant. I thought the color was the best way to tell the difference.

On the idea of angels, go buy a few from petco. A 20 will do much more for these fish which are probably going to end up in 5 gals. :roll: ...speaking from experience after working here.

Back
Top Bottom