A few general questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could do just a community tank with tropical fish ( loaches, Cory catfish, mollies, platies, tetras, etc... ) and then do a puffer tank separately later on with a pair of figure 8 puffers , great idea first puffers to care for when your first starting out . I did that when I started out cause I wanted dojo loaches cause there one of my favorite fishes having them when I was growing up. So I started with a community tank and got a another tank for puffers as I got a little more knowledge with the fish hobby again. Also as the homemade decor goes - here something I just made with aquarium sealant and river rocks.

Attachments

• image-4289927167.jpg
    image-4289927167.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 61
For your homemade decor, do you have to boil those rocks?

You don't nessicarily have to boil the rocks, however I do. Just put them in a pot with water put it on the stove, let it boil, turn off stove and keep it on until the water is room temperature. Some people say just to rinse them off and give them a good scrub down with a toothbrush or something and some vinegar.

Edit: also put some vinegar on the rocks to see if it fizzes. If it DOES fizz DON'T use it!!!!

AquaKai said:
You don't nessicarily have to boil the rocks, however I do. Just put them in a pot with water put it on the stove, let it boil, turn off stove and keep it on until the water is room temperature. Some people say just to rinse them off and give them a good scrub down with a toothbrush or something and some vinegar.

Edit: also put some vinegar on the rocks to see if it fizzes. If it DOES fizz DON'T use it!!!!

Lol you beat me to it ! And I learned something also about the vinegar !

Lol you beat me to it ! And I learned something also about the vinegar !

Yeah, I've lost a many good rocks to that vinegar thing... :ermm:It's awful when you find the perfect rock and it fizzes. But it's all for the fish and shrimp safety, or at least that's what I tell myself, also your rock structure is amazing I'm going to look into that!(y)

AquaKai said:
Yeah, I've lost a many good rocks to that vinegar thing... :ermm:It's awful when you find the perfect rock and it fizzes. But it's all for the fish and shrimp safety, or at least that's what I tell myself, also your rock structure is amazing I'm going to look into that!(y)

Thank you ! It was my first one too ! I need to still trim down some of the sealant on it cause I went a little crazy on it to make sure it held strong...lol ! I'll post new pics when it is the aquarium and I make more !

Back
Top Bottom