A few gold fish questions please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a buddy and we are trying to fix up this tank that he has and I don't know a lot about gold fish so here are some questions
1. What are the gold fish that look like they have a brain...lol
2. The tank is a 55g corner bow it has 2 comet gold fish and 2 of the brain looking gold fish can I add 2 rubber lip plecos and some mystery snails
3. What kind of live plants can I use
4. Any other advice for me like size what to feed... anything would help thanks

1) ORANDAS (or Lionhead or Ranchu)

2) the 55 gallon is already fully stocked.
If you desperately need an algae eater, then the mystery snails will probably be the best option.

3) Plants are a toss-up. My goldfish used to uproot them.

4) high quality sinking pellets and flakes.
And frozen peas every so often, as a supplement to prevent swim bladder.

Yeah I know plants can be a pain with them but he wants something that will help keep nitrates down

Anubias can be tied or glued (tank safe gel) to Driftwood, rocks or ornaments.

You can float Duckweed, they will eat it but it grows SO FAST, it might live. It is good at helping absorb bad stuff.

BUT nothing beats water changes AND a large canister filter. Also if he finds a home for the Comets in a pond that would be better. Then he can add perhaps one more Fancy GF.

If there is a big algae bloom he's over feeding perhaps. Green spot Algae on the glass ? Nerite Snails eat it, but big GF often mess w snails.

You can look up a list of plants that typically don't taste good to GF.

For a healthy treat, Anacharis can be floated, they love it and if any is left it should grow also.

Back
Top Bottom