A few more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have right now 2 sunburst platys and 2 dalmation lyre tail mollies in a 10 gallon tank. My tank is still in cycle, about 2 weeks in, and I was just wandering if it would be a good idea to add maybe like 3 or 4 neon tetras. Do tetras have a large bio load??

This is my tank

Attachments

• image-3715482777.jpg
    image-3715482777.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 73
Unfortunately your tank is overstocked already.

Also, I would fully fill it to the brim.

Fish-In Cycling

I have right now 2 sunburst platys and 2 dalmation lyre tail mollies in a 10 gallon tank. My tank is still in cycle, about 2 weeks in, and I was just wandering if it would be a good idea to add maybe like 3 or 4 neon tetras. Do tetras have a large bio load??

Hello RB..

Unless you've had several daily tests with no traces of either ammonia or nitrite, you don't want to add any fish. Your tank is very small, so there's not much room for error. Keep to the number of fish you have and test daily for the two forms of nitrogen given above and change 25 to 30 percent of the tank water if you have a positive test for either.

Resist the urge to add more fish, your tank is really too small. If you want to add something, add some floating plants like Anacharis or Pennywort, these will naturally filter the tank water and help in the cycling process.

B

Hello RB..

Unless you've had several daily tests with no traces of either ammonia or nitrite, you don't want to add any fish. Your tank is very small, so there's not much room for error. Keep to the number of fish you have and test daily for the two forms of nitrogen given above and change 25 to 30 percent of the tank water if you have a positive test for either.

Resist the urge to add more fish, your tank is really too small. If you want to add something, add some floating plants like Anacharis or Pennywort, these will naturally filter the tank water and help in the cycling process.

B

Oh I understand. My ph ppm has been steady, nitrate and nitrites have been at 0 and ammonia at .25. I have been doing daily water changes at 25%.
Where can I get these floating plants? I would love the extra help from these!

Adding Plants

Hello again RB...

You can get these from Petco. Anacharis is very cheap, just 3 to 4 dollars a bunch. Pennywort is available at Petco too, but not as often.

Attached are pics of the two plants. The one with the leaves is Anacharis the one that looks like little lily pads is Pennywort. Both grow well just floating in the tank water close to the light and like the higher nitrogen levels in cycling tanks.

B

Attachments

• WP_20130406_004.jpg
    WP_20130406_004.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 41
  • WP_20130406_005.jpg
    WP_20130406_005.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 39
Hello again RB...

You can get these from Petco. Anacharis is very cheap, just 3 to 4 dollars a bunch. Pennywort is available at Petco too, but not as often.

Attached are pics of the two plants. The one with the leaves is Anacharis the one that looks like little lily pads is Pennywort. Both grow well just floating in the tank water close to the light and like the higher nitrogen levels in cycling tanks.

B

Hello, and I see, thank you! Very much!

Back
Top Bottom