A few questions lol!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do fish sleep? IF so how do you know when they are?

One of my silver dollars has like cat eyes. Is this comon or is it something else?

Fish do sleep, yes. It's not in the way that we sleep, as in, going unconcious. But, notice when the lights go out that they will sorta drift around and stay sorta stationary. This is fishy sleep, and why it is important to give fish a dark period.

One of my silver dollars has like cat eyes. Is this comon or is it something else?

Hmm. What do you mean by cat eyes? I'm confused (and that's not hard to do :wink: )

its hard to explain I dont think its hte pupils but it runs thru its eyes. Kinda like its a wild fish.. I think it maybe a male silver dollar cause its got a dash of red on its bottom back fin. I dunno if its an anal fin or what lol

My convicts would tuck their babies in everynight behind a big rock that they were born from (where she laid her eggs). So, I would think that they sleep. Also, sometimes if I would forget to feed my fish I would go and feed them at a wierd time (usally in the night), and when I would turn on the light they all look kind of out of sorts (wide eyed and confused). So, since I assumed this is fish sleeping I quit doing that and just wait till the next day....cause they would never eat anyway..

the reason they all seem confused is that they are in fact shocked from the light. Your tank should be slowly lit up no matter what time it is. Think of it this way, your sound asleep, it's 4am and pitch black. All of a sudden a really big bright spot light gets turned on with no warning... ...you would seem a little confused and out of sorts too. I don;t turn my tank lights on 'till around 11:30 am after the sun has reached the room and the room lights have been on a good while. I'm not sure if it causes any harm but it's better safe than sorry...

Yep, like I said, I quit doing that...seemed mean to that to them...
But, you know they all kind of get stationary at night and float kind of to the bottem...I don't know how to explain it...but it's got to be fish sleeping..

My wife had inadvertently put the tank lights on after about an hour after they were off (dropped in an algae wafer that got caught in one of the plants). She noticed one of the angels lying listless, sorta tilted to the side. She screamed for me stating: "One of the angels is dying!" When I explained that the angel was sleeping and staring at her with a look that said: "Hey, turn out that light!". She was amazed.

I think some of the Blood Parrot cichlids are the funniest to watch when they are asleep if you have moon lights. They sit on the bottom, heads face down at an angle towards the substrate and their eyes turn inward as if they were crosseyed and they sit there like a rock until morning. It's goofy lookin', but everyone looks goofy when they are sleeping ;).

Back
Top Bottom