a few quick shrimp questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
are RCS and Red Cherry Shrimp the same thing??

and do/will they eat fish eggs?

i've been thinking of adding them to the planned stocking list for my GBR 40g breeder. its most likely only gonna contain two GBR pairs but i was curious if red cherry shrimp would eat the GBR eggs...

and if not red cherry shrimp could i add ghost shrimp?? i'm really looking to see if there's a shrimp type i can add just to kinda keep the tank clean... i've tried this a couple times with my 55G but the ghost shrimp get eating within a few days and i normally add 20-30 shrimp at a time lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I merged your posts together, just hit the "edit" button if you need to add to a post shortly after it has been posted.

rcs won't likely eat the eggs since the gbr's will be protecting them. However, gbrs also readily eat rcs so I wouldn't keep them together unless that is the goal. Ghost shrimp may be a little safer, but it's one of those trial and error things.

thanks for the merge, i forgot about the edit button lol.

ok so the cherry shrimp are out :( but i'll give the ghost shrimp a try with the GBR. hopefully i can find something that i can use as a tank cleaner.

i don't want to throw too many fish in the tank considering my goal is breeding GBR. i've had a couple other posts/threads regarding this and have basically narrowed it down to just 2 pairs of GBR in the tank.

but now that i actually stop and think about it... would it be better to have a cleaning crew or leave some stuff for the GBR fry to forage for??

Ghost shrimp are good scavengers, but not algae eaters, RCS are good algae eaters and scavengers, but make a tasty snack due to their smaller size. Amano shrimp are a good compromise ... they're best known as great algae eaters, but also do scavenge, plus they get large enough that most fish leave them alone.

i thought they were part of the filter feeder family?? or am i thinking a completely different shrimp... i have bamboo shrimp in my 55G and i know he's a filter feeder.

Filter feeders are bamboo and African vampire shrimp .. At least the ones most typically found at local LFS's.

ohhhh ok, well then i read something that i must have misread lol... i assumed based on my understanding of whatever it was that i read that amano and bamboo were roughly the same.

lol now i understand what you mean.

i'll start researching the amano shrimp and see what i can find... the GBR Breeder tank is still in the works so i have plenty of time to sort this out.

thanks again J :D

Back
Top Bottom