A few silly questions *shrugs*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ277

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to say hello--
looks like a great forum!

I currently have a 150 with a general batch of community fish and a few semi aggresive that all get along very well,and healthy ,
despite that they vary in size quite a bit-
larger balas' , iridecent sharks,gouramis,red eyed tertras, bleeding heart tetras,giant danios, zebra danios,rosy barbs,scissor tails,neons,cherry barbs,twin barb platys ,mollys, and my favorite a couple of high fin banded sharks

(all is well except the routine dissappearence of neon tetras,while other small species of tetras and cherry barbs never seem to have any troubles)

anyway been really enjoying it and have had the usual issues and learned a bit along the way.

my questions actually a bit silly, but i couldnt find anything with the search feature

I have seen TV's turned into aquariums at several places , and thought at some point in time had seen a web link that detailed the process..
of "how too"

anyone have info or a link?

also the banded high fins change strips dramatically within a few minutes..
even when all is "well"
i thought it was stresds related before, but over time now it doesnty seem to be.
any clues ?
they seem content and happy..just a funny thing as 5 minutes may see a pretty dramtic fade or boldness in "band" contrast

forgive a newbie if this is in the wrong "topic forum"

( reefrunner advised me to copy p[aste this hear for replies)

Welcome! If you go to the "photo gallery" and type in "TV" in the photo search thing it comes up with two people who gutted Tv's and turned them into aquariums.

The pictures might give you some ideas and it gives you ways to contact the creators. I hope that helps some =o)

Hiya AJ277 and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

I do believe snapcrackler, one of our regulars, is making a tank out of a computer monitor. You might want to PM him for some tips. Also check here: http://www.vafishfreek.com/TVhowto.html (is this OUR fishfreek??). And do follow lyquid's suggestion as well. With all that info you should be in good shape :)

As for the high banded sharks, how many do you have? I'm wondering if the fading/brightening of the bands might be related to dominance/territory; they might be showing off to each other. I notice my clown loaches will fade out when they are busy playing dominance games.

Thanks for the replies andgreat info!!

Alli-
they might be showing off to each other

thanks - and cool:)
as I had thought it might be a male/female or male male and doing something similar.
We have two about the same size (4")
One most always keeps the bands very contrasting- while the other fades them completely out and back to contrasting quite quickly and regularly, also a bit of orange.This one will actually swim up in my hand when i was doing tank stuff and i can move her/him around as she just glides above my palm.really goofy but has quickly become my favotite fish LOL i just cant seem to find any real detailed info on the high banded's as far as behavior etc etc

ahh any ideas on the missing neons?
as in - why only them?
considering many other lil guys never get bothered..

and who is the likely culprit?

disapperance when it occurs is always overnight and i never see anyone chase them during the day.

(my wife says since they are so bright maybe at night they are easy targets which makes some since, but its strange you never seee any aggration during the day)

obviously we wont be getting any more neons,(from an original school-after two months down to two)
but still curious of the phenomenon

Not sure exactly why the neons are disappearing; I don't think the others are killing them.

It may be a health issue. Neons and cardinals are extremely tetchy. If you do a search on some of the threads about them here you'll see they can be pretty tough to keep alive and healthy. We figure its most likely due to inbreeding. They may be dying in the tank and eaten by the others, leaving you with a mystery...

Back
Top Bottom