a film on top of my water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon H

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have noticed a film on top of my water that when i through food in or touch it it breaks up and goes with the flow of my water. is it something i should be concerned about? and how do i get rid of it?

i have noticed a film on top of my water that when i through food in or touch it it breaks up and goes with the flow of my water. is it something i should be concerned about? and how do i get rid of it?

I just had that same problem and researched a remedy that worked.

Mine was a result of overfeeding because I went on a long trip and set my auto feeder to high and consequently overfed my fish. I surmise that the uneaten food caused what appeared to be an "oil slick" on the surface of the water.

Even after my partial water changes (PWC), the oil slick would reappear. Eventually I got fed up and I was determined to get rid of it. Well even so that it won't directly harm your fish, I read that it can interfere with the oxygen exchange at the surface and will deprive your fish of some oxygen (depending on the severity of your "oil slick" of course).

Here's the remedy.... The next time you are ready to do a PWC, grab about 2 or 3 clean dry paper towels (more if your tank is large, mine is 12 gallons). Turn off all pumps or anything that can move the water around. Let the water sit until you see the oil slick clump up and settle on the surface (approx. 15-20 min). Gently lay a sheet of paper towel flat over the slick and as soon as it absorbs to its capacity, lift off the paper towel and place it in your bucket. Repeat this process with the other dry paper towel sheets. This will absorb and suck up the slick on the surface. Complete your normal PWC routine after.

I did this procedure on 2 different subsequent PWC's. Now the surface of my water is slick free! Hope this helps... good luck!

That sounds like pretty good advice so far- especially for dealing with the immediate effects of over feeding. I would also add that if your problem persists or is not the result of overfeeding you could help clear it up by directing more flow to the surface of the water to break down the scum and skimmer will absorb it from the water. This along with PWC should kick the film into touch!

Back
Top Bottom