A final Plan for my 40breeder, can't wait to set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kriben

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had some thoughts on stocking a 40 breeder tank for the past few weeks. My original plan was stocking around 2 breeding pairs of kribs, but I have a bad pair. They spawned last Sunday and they are not guarding any area of the tank, in fact my Chinese Algae Eater turned to the devil, only going after the female krib. I feel like this new idea, thanks to the help of Ted Judy(google if you don't know him), is much better and I will probably get fry. Here is the stocking plan:

4- Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Bipindi"(1 male and 3 females for a colony)
7 bloodfin tetras
7 blue tetras
3 cory cats
6 Otocinclus cats
I may also get 6 marbled hatchet fish for the top of the tank

Let me know if I am over stocking, the Pelvicachromis are fairly good parents as most are wild caught(the place I am ordering from only has wild caught ones) and only have batches of 30 tops so there isn't a large group of babies to watch. I will be adding three burrito caves for the colony of Pelvicachromis, as they seem to be the most attractive to them.

Oto's aren't good for a new setup, do best in a well-established planted tank. A BN pleco would be a better option.
Marbled hatchets need soft water, and may not eat flakes at all. Wingless fruit flies are a good food for them.

you can have ottos in a new set up if you feed them zuchinis

My lfs feeds them flakes and they eat the flakes that are placed in the tank. So I am not sure if I will have that problem. How long should the tank be up and running for before I add oto's? I have been having hit and miss sucess with them. They starved in a 6 month old planted 46 gallon tank, 5 month old 26 gallon, but I have been able to keep two a live in a 5.5 gallon tank for 8+ months. They were added when I had baby platies and they kept the algae under control, now they get an algae wafer that is blown apart via turkey baster once a week.

Back
Top Bottom