A first for me, a lfs with good advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was in the lfs today and overheard an employee asking a woman who had 2 kids with her, if this was a new tank she was setting up. She responded by saying yes. He then proceeded to tell her she should wait to get fish and explained the fishless cycling process. I almost fell over! I couldn't believe my ears. I don't know if the lady was convinced or not, she didn't buy any fish from that lfs but who knows she could have gone and bought fish at another fish store. I was quite pleasantly suprised.

I was at LFS recently and a lady next to me was asking which fish is good for starters... blah blah.. I was listening and the guy at the store was recommending some danios etc... after being in this forum and the help I got , I decided to help the lady. I asked her whether her tank was new.. she said yes.. I asked her how many fish she got... she said four.. asked her how many days she had the tank.. she told she bought it day before.. I told here all the new tank blah blah and asked her not to buy anything.. the guy at the LFS was stone faced.. anyway I didnt care...

Thats a shocker....around here either they have no clue or they think they know what they are talkling about and tell you all this junk thats not true and make you buy something or you cant get the fish and blah blah blah blah blah

IME the employees that know what there doing dont like to talk to newbie customers.. They would rather bs about there reef setup, or there puffer tank with experianced customers. :roll:

15 years ago, the pet stores used to just tell you to age the water for 24 hrs. Now they tell you to cycle the tank before adding fish. Even PetsMart tells you to cycle the tank for at least a week. They also tell you to start with four fish for at least two weeks, then add a few at a time.

Man how things have changed.

What pisses me off, is all the books which come with starter kits, and the people at the pet stores, don't even tell you to change the water every week/day or whatever. I had to find this out online. So that explains why I lost so many fish in the past.

what they should seriously start doing and make it mandatory

people who put in applications for the fish department of chain stores should have aquariums at home so at least they can help customers from their own experiences, but i'm pretty sure that wont totally help being that employers just want sales(not all BTW)

and the only chain store that i have had experience with that i recommend is definetly PetsMart, they are an amazing store and the one right near my house the manager has a 150, 95, 20 and 2 10 gallon aquariums, so he knows what he's talking about :D

Ya PetsMart is a pretty good store for a chain store. And most of the staff seem to know what they are talking about.

I've only had one person at PetsMart who couldn't quite tell one fish from another and when I asked for Marigold Swordtails, she got me Marigold Wag Swordtails. When I asked her about them, she seemed so convinced that they were Marigold Swordtails.

They have descent prices too, but I'm such a cheapskate that I buy whatever I can get away as a substitute such as Arm N' Hammer baking soda to bring the PH up.

this lfs aquarium store is SO cool, i mean everyone knows what there doing in any manner, any fish and any peice of equipment. i simply love them! they have bio-spira, tanks for sale pumps skimmers everything from a-z!!!! cept they dont get really special fish like puffers etc. very much and they dont have many diffrent verietys of one type of fish cept tetras barbs and chichlds

All I know is there is a fish called the "marigold wag swordtail" so I myself am a little confused as to the difference...

Nevermind, I don't know what I'm talking about. Anyway as far as I can tell it's just a difference in coloration?

The wags have black in the back is that right?

Back
Top Bottom