a friend in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyLuva

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Friend Needs HELP!!!!

hey guys just helping a bud that mailed me here at AA.Heres her story.

Well i got my 1st Koi at the fair, it was a tie die orange nd white but then lost all its color(very subtly it took about 6 months), it's eyes changed from orange to red to blue to blu nd r now silver also in this time,it was livin in a 5 gallon at my grandparents. a year later it was to big for the aquarium so I moved it 2 my 10 gallon with another fish I won that year(also presumed 2 be a koi) who was all white. the bigger 1 is named Aiko(shining star, jappanesse) the other Akiko(small flower) i know that they r both girls because once the tank heater went out nd they filled with eggs. just a few days ago the Akiko strted sort of jerking 1 way nd kind of wud use 1 fin more than the other as well as swimming lopsided. i thought that something might of happend with her getting stuck in the rocks or that some of the paint was shipping nd she ate some or something lik that. Aiko would only look at food nd wud stay by Akiko. I called my mom who was out nd told her 2 buy maybe 2 more fish because 4 some unown reason if 1 of my fish is left alone in the tank it stops eating nd dies.......:( . well bout an hour later Akiko did the wierdest thing..... i tink it wud be consider burping... she opended her mouth nd out came this really big air bubble(she norm does this with smaller 1s). a few days later i went out nd bought 2 wat i tink r sarpas(thats wat it said i tink) wen i went 2 feed them the nxt mornin there were bubbles in da tank but they seemed 2 be in some sort of chemical(it looked lik some1 spit in the tank) there was also poop there 2, i fed the fish after i picked out all that stuff with a small net. any idea wat may be going on?

2 koi in a 10 gal can cause all kinds of problems. Ammonia and nitrite spikes, which can cause poisioning. The tank parameters would be helpful.

Oh come on, we can translate with a little work... from what I can tell there are 2 koi and 2 serpae (sarpas?) tetras in a 10 gallon tank, and because of that there are waste problems. First thing to do would seem to be: find a bigger tank. Or, increase flow or filtration. Or do a big water change. Doesn't seem like a case where the fish owners are the water-testing kind, so I wouldn't go there just yet.

Their problem isn't ammonia (assuming) but there seems to be a chemical in the water making the koi burp? Although ammonia can cause fish to swim lopsided.

btw there was a study at ?brown? where if the first 2 letters and the last letter are in the right place you can tell what the word is :p

You sure those are koi? They don't usually give away koi at fairs .... more likely common goldfish ....

"heater went out & they filled with eggs" -- Not sure that is correct interpretation ... more likely swollen belly from constipation due to feeding at low temp. <Although this really only happens with temp less than 50's in koi or commons.>

"swimming lopsided" -- most likely swimbladder problem from water quality issues - maybe high nitrates.

I think you should encourage your pal to relocate the koi (or goldfish) to a pond & just keep the tetras in the 10 gal. Meanwhile I think water changes are in order .... <I know I am sounding like a broken record! :) >

it was probly puke, your fish are definately not doin to good in such a small tank, i would put 1 koi in there max, they get very big. it would be nice to get your perameters so i could give you a more educated guess. And not to be a jerk but your written english is terrible, i couldnt really extract any solid facts from what you wrote.

Im not old and dont really feel like trying to translate the original post into english wud, wuz, was, would, would have. How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? Im sorry. 2 koi in a 10 gal??? Gold fish are messy and eject food from their gills. Also if its not ammonia, its lack of oxygen. Hence the bubbles probably a gasp for air taking in whatever O2 there is and thus burping it up maybe?

i dont get what bein old has to do with the way he spelled everything lol, can someone explain that? if everyone just uses there common sense its easy to make out what words he/she is useing, its the sentences that dont make sense. this whole thread is confusing altogether lol

Back
Top Bottom