A little Glofish info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Dear David,

Thank you for contacting us, and we apologize for the delay in getting back
to you. Aside from their brilliant color, fluorescent zebra fish are the
same as other zebra fish in every way. This includes everything from
general care and temperature preferences to growth rate and life expectancy.
Accordingly, our fish are able to breed just as any other zebra fish, and
they do pass their unique color along to their offspring. At the same time,
please remember that their sale is covered by a substantial number of
patents and related intellectual property. Because of this, any breeding
and subsequent sale of the fish is prohibited.

Once again, thank you for your inquiry, and please let us know if you have
any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

John
GloFish Support

What can't you have a patent on these days?

"Oh, that cloud there, i made it, so... i patent it! Anyone caught making that same cloud owes me $25k."

I would have no problem selling fry!!!! Let them sue me..LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
There is no way intelctual property laws could apply to you spawning what is your personal property, the fish! How ignorant.. :evil:

greenmagi said:
I would have no problem selling fry!!!! Let them sue me..LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
There is no way intelctual property laws could apply to you spawning what is your personal property, the fish! How ignorant.. :evil:

The laws do apply, and you don't want a large bio company cranky with you....they have plenty of high-end lawyers and enough money and bull-headedness to make an example of you....and even if you get fined just $10K, can you afford it?

I think the glow part of them is injected into them comes from jellyfish and corals.

Well, yes and no. From http://www.rps.psu.edu/jan99/glow.html:

Plasmid vectors are ring-shaped bits of DNA derived from the cytoplasm of bacteria. Restriction enzymes let scientists cut the ring apart at precisely labeled spots. “That’s when you can start playing with the DNA,” says Gestl, by taking out certain bits and adding others. Afterwards, a different enzyme is used to reform the plasmid into a ring. Genes from any species can be spliced into a plasmid’s DNA; then, in theory at least, the engineered ring can be coaxed into the genome of a new species to mutate, or change, it in desired ways. For instance, scientists have used plasmid vectors to insert a gene for herbicide resistance into soybeans. The genetic material that Gestl is working with – the DNA code for a protein that fluoresces either green or blue, depending on the conditions – was isolated from jellyfish. Incorporated into the zebra fish’s genome, this ability to fluoresce will make Gestl’s transgenic zebra fish powerful tools in detecting cancer-causing changes to a gene.

To make a transgenic fish, Gestl injects the vector into the developing fish embryo between the first- and second-cell stages, which causes subsequent cells to include all the genetic information in the vector. Each egg – smaller than a pearl of tapioca – is injected separately with a slender needle finer than a cat’s whisker, under a powerful Leica microscope. Gestl says that he’s able to inject vectors into 100 eggs per hour. Of those, approximately 30 embryos will accept the new genetic material and fluoresce, 20 will survive to adulthood, but only one or two will have the new genetic information in their germ-line cells (those cells involved in reproduction). These few mutated fish will then be bred with wild-type zebra fish in the hope that the blue-green protein can be transferred to the next generation.

A lot of work and research went into these danios, along with time and money. These fish aren't just injected with dyes, they are genetically modified. So yes, there are patents and yes, they can sue you for breeding and selling them.

I wouldnt sell them to make money from it... but of course that should have been disclosed with my prior comment... its just a matter of time before they do this to bettas and such.. and by the way.. are Red Devils infertile?
I did know that it was genetic manipulation though..
And yes thats alot of greef.... :(

greenmagi said:
I wouldnt sell them to make money from it... but of course that should have been disclosed with my prior comment... its just a matter of time before they do this to bettas and such..

Not at all...the glo-danios were created as a scientific, diagnostic tool...their being sold as pets is completely secondary. To create a genetically-modified fish in the manner that these were for simply an aquarium fish would be far too time-consuming and expensive.

and by the way.. are Red Devils infertile?

No.

Because of this, any breeding

Is it like a patent on drugs? where they change one ingredient to make the generic form, in that case, all you have to do is say, they weren't under your patent because i raised them in another tank. Honestly though, how can you patent a fish from spawning?
Thats just ridiculous.

AshleyNicole said:
Because of this, any breeding

Is it like a patent on drugs? where they change one ingredient to make the generic form, in that case, all you have to do is say, they weren't under your patent because i raised them in another tank. Honestly though, how can you patent a fish from spawning?
Thats just ridiculous.

Its like the patent on genetically modified mice (the first such things to have a patent)....and it doesn't stop you from allowing them to reproduce in your tank, it simply stops you from distributing the offspring.

A more odd and harsh law is that surrounding genetically modified canola....legally, a farmer may not save seed from one year's crop and plant it in his own fields the next....go figure that one.

I can understand the seed deal. If farmers could save the seeds, they would only have to buy once, and quickly put the seed companies out of business. What I don't like about the GM seeds is when the companies try to charge regular farmers whose crops get cross pollinated by neighboring GM fields. I don't have any specific examples off hand, but I am almost positive I read that this has happened.

i think its all bullshit... pardon my language, but i don't believe you should be able to patent nature... even if it has been genetically modified.

Back
Top Bottom