A little help making sure my fish are compatible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzlesfate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

so im starting my first community fish tank, ive been doing alot of research over the last few months or so and ive got a good idea what im looking for. i will be purchasing a tank this weekend, (between 25 - 40 gal, depends on the day) and will start filling the fish mid november after i cycle them with cherry barbs (i know their not the most hardy fish but i do'nt want dannios or minnows and they have be known to work quite well)

This is a list of all the fish i will be (eventually) introducing into the tank. This is literally a complete list from research of what goes together and the fish i personally like. i know that different websites and people give different advice, so i figured i would just upload my list and let you guys help me pick it apart and make sure it would all be ok.

I dont want to stock it all straight away, i will start with the cherry barbs and then i'll go from there as to when to introduce the rest, but if any one has some advice on the order i should add these in, and how much time to leave between to let them get comfy, or to adjust quicker etc?

below is where im at so far, and iv'e been told that if i get a larger tank this set up should be ok, but if i go smaller (25gal minimum) i still may be over crowded and would have to cut my list down (some of these could be totally wrong so please excuse my ignorance, these seem to be compatible from what ive seen so far though)... help!!. :D thank you x

Blue Siamese Fighter (Male)
4 x Female Siamese Fighters

Full Red Guppy (Male)
4 x female guppies

6 x galaxy rasporas

6 x Cheery Barbs - (cycling)

2 x White Micky Mouse Platy
2 x Sunset Platy

2x Borneo Sucker Loach

(possibly: ) bignosed-upside down catfish or bristlenose catfish?

Extra's :

2 x aquatic frogs

Bumble Bee shrimp
tiger shrimp

Horned Nerite Snail
Zebra snail

Order so far:

1. cherry barbs

(1 month later)

2. rasporas and platy

3. Siamese fighters and guppies

4. borneo sucker and catfish

and the invertebrates added intermittently.

thanks!

You can't keep male and female betta's together in the same tank. With 4 females, your male will be dead in less than an hour. Maybe quicker. And even having a sorority tank is iffy. And with guppies and platties, you will have an explosion of fry. I have 8 mollies and already have over 40 fry in less than 3 months. So be prepared.

Male Bettas often go after male guppies tails and can cause serious injury, each Betta has it's own temperment so alot depends on that. Betta's will also eat and or killl shrimp so that could be another problem. Borneo cats are hillstream loaches and prefer cooler water and faster current, IMO not a good choice.

What size tank do you have because that will determine how many of the above fish listed you can actually stock.

What you have just described is a setup for a Battle Royale.

Scrap the Betta's full stop with that stocking.

Also, the Borneo Sucker is actually a hillstream loach. Hillstream Loaches are coldwater fish, not tropical, so they are not compatible with your other fish. They would die quickly in a tropical tank.

wow thanks for the advice guys, i bought the Juwel Rio 125, its 125L which i think is 25 gallons? i see the point with the small fry, definately dont want to be un prepared for that. i think a lot of fish off this list will be cut down, ive just gotta work out what the best combo would be. The borneo loach is def a no. is it ok to have a male betta and 1 female betta?
i think ill def wanted the bettas and the platties originally, maybe mixing the guppies in too is a bit much.
cheers guys!

No you can't have a male and female Betta, you need to pick one or the other.

You can sometimes put a male and female Betta together but you could end up with a lot of Betta Fry and they are Very hard to take care of. Some have luck keeping them together and others not so much and 1 ends up being killed. To me it is a Huge risk that I would never want to test out. Plus I don't want the fry and can't afford the up keep it cost to do so.

With a 25 gal tank you will want to cut back on that list iris a lot for that tank size I think.

Bettas are generally not worth the hassle full stop in my opinion. They don't get along well with a lot of other fish. They definately will have a go at male guppies, they may be under attack from male platys and i would feel uneasy putting them in with galaxy rasboras personally. And i've heard that you can have problems with putting more than one in whatever the sex, but not tried that. I think other wise you would be ok with that lot, but make it one male platy or no male platy if you buy 4 platys. If you insist on betta, make it one male and put in with corys, neons, harlequins and the like. Go with the biggest tank you can afford / have room for. The water stays more stable and you will probably only end up wanting to upgrade.

chrismiller21 said:
And with guppies and platties, you will have an explosion of fry. I have 8 mollies and already have over 40 fry in less than 3 months. So be prepared.

What's a FRY?

Molly's, Swordtails, Platy's, and guppies are all common aquarium fish that are live bearers, As in they give birth to live babies.

Bettas are not community fish! Danios are great to watch, always on the go and wish about mid level in the tank or higher. I had some once upon a time by my rosy barbs ate them when I was on vacation lol

You can sometimes put a male and female Betta together but you could end up with a lot of Betta Fry and they are Very hard to take care of. Some have luck keeping them together and others not so much and 1 ends up being killed. To me it is a Huge risk that I would never want to test out. Plus I don't want the fry and can't afford the up keep it cost to do so.

With a 25 gal tank you will want to cut back on that list iris a lot for that tank size I think.

thanks for the advice, i actually went to an aquarium store yesterday and got to see all the dif types first hand and not just on google. def gna cut tank list down so its a lot more realistic and less liekyl to cause a masacre.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom