a little overkill, perhaps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
We bought my son a 1.5 gal aquarium for his birthday. In researching how to choose fish and keep them alive I have become so fascinated with the hobby that I returned the 1.5 and have arranged to purchase a 55 gal with stand. Once my wife allows me back into the house I know I'm going to love it.
The tank is running with cichlids as the main occupant. I am going to trade them in for a couple of zebra loaches. This is where my questions begin. To make it easier to answer specific questions I will list them.

The tank has an emperial filter with bio wheels. Will I have to cycle the tank before adding my fish? I will have to dump most of the water to transport the tank.

If loaches are social fish, and need to be kept in groups, can the group consist of 1 kuhli, 1 zebra, 1 clown? Or should they be grouped by 3 of like kind?

Do all loaches feed off the bottom and how much does this really help in keeping a clean tank?

What natural cleaning fish should I include in my tank?

How many Bala Sharks can I keep in a 55 and still have room for other fish?

Can I build my own decor out of black lava from Home Depot or do I have to stick with prefabricated aquarium merchandise? Same question for driftwood?

I would like to have a couple of needle fish (I think that is the name) in the tank. Will they eat their roommates?

I don't want to deal with live plants. Between plastic and silk, is one better?

Will Spade Tailed Apistos survive with the other fish mentioned? Do they need to be grouped?

I would be interested in any fish suggestions anyone may have. I want a well balanced, attractive, interesting tank. Thanks.

The tank has an emperial filter with bio wheels. Will I have to cycle the tank before adding my fish? I will have to dump most of the water to transport the tank.

I assume the tank is cycled and is being moved to another location? If this is the case, place tank water, decorations and filter media in buckets. When you set it up at it's new location, you will probably have a mini-cycle but you will save most if not all of the beneficial bacteria.

If loaches are social fish, and need to be kept in groups, can the group consist of 1 kuhli, 1 zebra, 1 clown? Or should they be grouped by 3 of like kind?

Like most other fish species, it's always better to have them in groups of their own kind, though 3 clowns in a 55gal may be too small.

Do all loaches feed off the bottom and how much does this really help in keeping a clean tank?

While they do scavenge the bottom, they are not the best "tank cleaners" like plecos and otos.

What natural cleaning fish should I include in my tank?

A dwarf pleco, like a bristlenose of pitbull.

How many Bala Sharks can I keep in a 55 and still have room for other fish?

The true answer is none. However, one is the most you should keep.

Can I build my own decor out of black lava from Home Depot or do I have to stick with prefabricated aquarium merchandise? Same question for driftwood?

The rule of thumb here is that as long as it is natural and not treated with chemicals and doesn't leech any bad or hazardous materials into the tank, it will do fine in the aquarium. Some of these non-aquatic articles contain excessive minerals as well. These can increase the water's TDS. If you haven't considered it, slate works well in the aquarium and is pretty cheap if you can scarf some up at a building supply store.

many prefer silk as it moves more naturally in the water column.

I would be interested in any fish suggestions anyone may have. I want a well balanced, attractive, interesting tank.

A school of tetras, and possibly two centerpiece piece such as the cichlids would look stunning.

I have no experience with needle fish or the apistos you mentioned.

HTH.

I was looking at the pictures on your site.(Jchillin)
What size tank is that and is it fresh water?
I really liked the German Blue fish and would be interested in including them.
I was led to believe by a Petco salesperson that I could keep around three or four Balas in a 55. I appreciate your advice. I was interested in them because they swim together in such a cool way.
Where do you buy your fish? I mean, do serious hobbyist shop at petco or petsmart? How do I find a German Blue? I've Not seen one at the previously mentioned locations.

Thanks Elwood. Petco and Petsmart and most LFS aren't exactly the most knowledgable folks in the world when it comes to aquaria. :(

Just the fact that they told you that makes me shudder.

My main tank is a 75gal FW planted tank. The other is a 30gal FW as well.

I had to really shop around for those German Blue Rams. And I mean search...went to about 6 different LFS in and around the NYC area until I found them. I'm not sure if they are that many LFS in your neck of the woods but if you want them, they are really interesting to watch.

The concensus on driftwood seems to be that it's good, the fish usually love it, it lowers the ph a little, and it may turn your water yellowish for a while. I think lava rock would not tend to taint your water, but someone else may know better.

I would like to have a couple of needle fish (I think that is the name) in the tank. Will they eat their roommates?

I looked into needlefish a bit because they looked so cool when I saw them at PetSmart, but I'd say they're definitely not an option for either of us just yet. For one thing, they're usually sold at several inches and grow to a foot reasonably quickly, so they need a pretty big tank. Secondly, they need live food, so I'm guessing that they would first eat your other fish if they can manage it, and then die of starvation if you didn't keep buying them fish or catching crickets or something. I'm guessing anyone that keeps these critters has a feeder tank of guppies or something, and only includes them with tankmates that are pretty big, fast, and tough, or maybe with no tankmates at all.

Some people say that some plastic ones, on very rare occasions, may hurt a fish in passing, but I don't think that's much of a consideration. I don't think the fish much care one way or another, but the silk ones, while a little more expensive, look a look a lot neater and more natural, from what little I've seen. Especially for plants with long flowing leaves.

I would be interested in any fish suggestions anyone may have. I want a well balanced, attractive, interesting tank.

I've been a big fan of my tiger barbs so far. They're attractive-looking, super active, school together in cool-looking ways, and are practically fearless. Not to mention they're so ubiquitous that they only cost a buck or two. They also don't get much bigger than three inches or so, so they're good for smaller aquariums. The only caveat is that you have to have active tankmates with them or they'll nip them slowly to pieces.

I have lavarock in my cichlid tank and I love it. It hasn't stained the water at all the the deep brick red color is gorgeous. I would highly recommend it!

lava rock has a tendency to make water harder but not change its color.

bala sharks are out of the question.. they get HUGE!

tiger barbs are tricky when it comes to stocking them with others.. they are big fin nippers..

there is a needle nose gar that stays relatively small but it would still need a tank that was at least 24" wide in my opinion.. so your 55 and my 75 gallon are out for that one..

I dont buy any fish with the intention that they will clean my tank.. thats what filters and maintaince is for.. :p

by the way.. it is mind boggling how many fish that are sold that are not approate for most if not all fish tanks..

Back
Top Bottom