A lot of White 1/4 inch worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I added the pimafix for fungus. After a few minutes probably a hundred of small white worms went floating. What is that? I am really concerned..

Sounds like planaria. planaria - Google Search

Never heard of pimafix killing them, but that doesn't mean that it didn't. Good gravel vacs and increased water changes will eliminate them.

HN1 said:
Sounds like planaria. planaria - Google Search

Never heard of pimafix killing them, but that doesn't mean that it didn't. Good gravel vacs and increased water changes will eliminate them.

It's string-like white worm. How come I have a lot of them? And why did they come out after dosing? And does pimafix makes the water thick? It's creating a lot of foam.

They are present most often due to inadequate gravel vacs IME.

Like I said, I've never heard of them being affected by pimafix.

It will create foam, but the water is not "thickened".

HN1 said:

I see. I just finished my cycling and I was told not to vacuum the substrate when I was cycling. Since then I've done a pWC once and vac a portion of the subs. Aren't you suppose to just vac a different part of the subs every time you do a PWC? It's hard to vacuum the substrate too because more than half is covered with plants. Thanks for the help.

HN1 said:

Are the worms bad for the fishes?

I usually vac as much as possible in planted tanks. You could've vac'd while cycling, but that's neither here nor there now I guess. lol

It's a fairly common problem in new tanks, but they go away pretty quickly with good maintenance practice.

HN1 said:
I usually vac as much as possible in planted tanks. You could've vac'd while cycling, but that's neither here nor there now I guess. lol

It's a fairly common problem in new tanks, but they go away pretty quickly with good maintenance practice.

Lol. I didn't want to disturb the essential bacterias.

I have a new tank. 33g. I'm doing a fish-less cycle. :)

I'll make sure to gravel vac as much as possible the areas that I can reach without disturbing the roots. Thanks a lot! :D

Shrimp fan said:
There are some fish which eat them. They are generally harmless to fish.

I actually saw one of my angels ate one. :) thanks!

Back
Top Bottom