A New Cross Breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was talking to one of my fish suppliers today about parrot Cichlids and Flowerhorn cichlids, he was trying to sell me some.
Did you know that there is a new one now, i couldn't believe it when he told me but they have crossed a parrot cichlid with a flowerhorn cichlid and called it a Lucan cichlid. Would you believe it, won't they ever leave these fish alone and just let nature decide what fish there are.
I haven't seen one so i don't know what they look like, maybe someone else out there has. Or has more info on them.

sweetsuvvyb said:
isn't that what we do when we decide to keep fish in little tanks to begin with?

Thats different, of course.

We create the garden of eden for our fish.

We don't geneticly enhance them or cross breed them to make some superfish :?

:lol:

i really don't see it as being all that different at all, but I know I'm probably in the minority in thinking that way.

Selective breeding of animals (not just fish) has been going on for millenia. Just because our technology is different now, doesn't make it somehow different. If anything, I think we're probably MORE aware of the problems associated with the practice.

But we have. Look at all the different goldfish, angelfish, bettas, etc. None of the domesticated versions we have in our tank are the original versions, nor would they survive well in the wild.

That being said, I have some issues with certain mutations/crossbreeds. I am concerned about the flourescing zebrafish; the mods on them are not enough to keep them from breeding in our waterways once someone dumps a few out there. I am not thrilled with the blood parrots either; their deformity becomes worse as they get older and I've heard of and seen them unable to close their mouths...

Personally if a fish is bred to be stronger and healthier, but would not survive in the areas being sold, I'm ok with it. But if its only being bred to be weird/for visual effect only, and winds up being some deformed unhealthy thing or able to propagate in local waters, I have a prob.

I don't particulary care about the selective breeding of any animals.

Sure, all " Pedigree " Cats and Dog species were made from selective breeding.

However, you can not name a " Pedigree " species that does not have some sort of disorder chronic of the breed.

Thats the problem, It creates all sorts of problems for the poor animals down the line.

IMO if God didnt want the fish to be able to crossbreed he wouldnt have made them be able too. But thats just my opinion.

possum said:
IMO if God didnt want the fish to be able to crossbreed he wouldnt have made them be able too. But thats just my opinion.

If god didn't want us to kill one another he wouldn't have made us be able to create guns and weapons.

No offence, but the logic is kinda flawed.. :-\

I am really pleased that everyone has there own opinions, that is the reason for discussion forums.
What one person likes, another will dislike
and there is a good place to start.

Thankyou for answering.

Wow, what an off-topic thread

I think it will be easier if we stick to fish. As far as that goes, the question should be is their being selectively bred / cross-bred for their benefit or ours?

As far a keeping them in captivity, I don't think you can apply the exact same logic. Yes, keeping them in captiviity is absolutely for their enjoyment, but they have the great benefit of being protected from natural preditors and other hazzards found in their natural habitats.

Again, I don't think this logic would hold with many other animals, but with fish, I think it does.

Those weird chinese goldfish make me sick, the ones with missing parts on them. I think breeding them like that is bad/cruel.

Back
Top Bottom