A question about treating tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm finally about to start my tank (on Saturday), and I have a question about treating tap water before putting it in the tank: If I use a dechlorinator, is it still necessary to let the water sit in the buckets for a certain amount of time? Is the 24 hour wait mentioned at some sites only an alternative to using a dechlorinator, or does it serve some other purpose as well? I don't think I have enough buckets and space to let 33 gallons of water sit for 24 hours :lol:

Letting the water sit is an alternative method that lets the chlorine escape.

On a new tank I just fill the tank with tap water at the correct temperature and add enough de-chlorinator for the amount of water. Then run the filter for a while to get floating junk out of the water before adding a few fish-o-cycling.

the only thing i would add is that you be sure your dechlorintor not only eliminates chlorine but chloramine as well. i believe most dechlorinators do get rid of both i did buy an off brand once and unknowingly used it and lost a couple dwarf frogs :( .

:D

I know the one by Marineland gets rid of both. It's called Bio-Coat. It is a stress coat type of product that also removes heavy metals - both chlorine and chloramine. I used it with no problems.

Prime and Amquel do the same. They eliminate Chlorine and neutralize Chloramine instantly.

Letting your water age in buckets will allow the Chlorine to outgas only ... Chloramines do not, and need to be removed via a Dechloraminator.

*nods and agrees with cindywindy*

There are all sorts of dechlorinators/dechloraminators. I use the type that ONLY remove those chemicals, and not ones that also convert ammonia. I found Jungle's Insto-Chlor to suit my purposes best; only removes the chlor chemicals, comes in a pretty big container and one only needs very little (1 tsp treats 80g) so its quite cost effective.

Also, I let my filter run for a little while (2 hrs to 24 hrs) before adding fish to be sure any bits of debris I might have missed when rinsing is picked up by the filter before fish are added. More my paranoia then anything else LOL but it makes me feel better :)

Thanks, guys :). Yes, I'm planning to use the dechlorinator, anyway. I don't think we have any of those brand names available here in Finland, tho, but I do know dechlorinators are available. I don't think our water has chloramines, tho.

A quick search in Google suggests that there are chloramines in Finnish water too. Allivymar educated me on this point too.

Anyway the de-chloramines come free IN you standard bottle of de-chlorinator

Wow, thank you! I'm ashamed that you know more about my water than I do :lol: I've been referring to a web page provided by my local water filtration plant , where they list all the other things present in the water, but not chloramine.

Back
Top Bottom