A Question of Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDonald

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two aquariums, one 2.5 gallon take housing my saimese fighting fish, and a 20 gallon containing 5 cardinal tetras, 2 weather loaches, and a small cichlid from lake tanganyika. My question is if my saimese fighting fish would get along with the fish in my 20g. I assume that they are aggressive because of their name, and the little guy gets very angry just looking at his reflection in a mirror. He just looks so cramped in the small tank.

Thanks

One more thing - my 20g has a very earthy smell. Is this normal? Is it healthy for my fish? I'm using seachem dechlornator and feeding the fish wardley flakes.

For the most part, your Siamese Fighting Fish, commonly called a Betta, will only fight other male bettas, or other fish with long, flowing fins. The smell is normal, most tanks smell like this. The only problem I can see with adding the betta to the 20, is he may be stressed by the fast moving fish.

HTH
Psy

You could try adding him...the cichlid may show agression towards him.

never house a male and a male together and never house a males and a female betta.

If you try and see a lot of damage remove him.

Good luck!

and a small cichlid from lake tanganyika
Most african cichlids are at the minimum slightly agressive. Betta's although called fighting fish are not really agressive. Your tanganyikan will probably like to chase and chew him. :evilbat: It would not be a good idea IMO

The ciclid is still very small (smaller than the cardinals) and shows no real aggression towards any of the other fish. It spends almost all of its time in a small cave and only comes out to eat. I was mainly worried about the loaches. They sometimes have difficulty finding the flakes at feeding time which leads me to believe they have bad eyesight. They are not aggressive and have a very timid nature, but I think if one of their whiskers touched the betta fins that they would take bite, thinking it was food. But then again, the bettaa spends most of its time near the surface, blowing bubbles and stuff.

So does everyone think that it's a bad idea?

No. I think if you are careful, it could work fine. I'd advise being home for the first few hours after you add him, just to make sure there is no aggression, and make sure to acclimate him correctly.

I personally would not add that betta. He is too slow and will not be able to run & hide if he is harassed.

As for the small cichlid, they can cause just as much damage as any adult.

I would keep a very close eye on your betta if you put him in there. Not only will he be stressed out by too much commotion from your other fish, but if you have ANY current going on in there from your filter, he will not like it one bit. I keep my betta in a ten gallon tank with a small hob, and I had to wrap the intake with a wad of filter floss to reduce the flow into the tank. His dorsal fin was badly torn by the current the filter caused. Even with the floss, the current is too strong. I am going to switch to a sponge filter. Bettas like very calm water.

[center:819aad098d] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, MacDonald!! :n00b: [/center:819aad098d]

I would be worried about the tetras nipping the bettas.

A better idea for the betta is a 5 gal tank with a couple of plants and a tank mate. Then you know the betta would be fine. My experience with bettas (and other slow moving fish) is most of the damage is done at night, or while I'm at work.

I would really not put the betta in with the cichlid he could casue some serious damage, I knew someone that tried that and they neded up with a well fed cichlid.

JMHO

Well I guess I won't move him, but he still looks cramped in the 2.5g. I do have a spare 10g that I could probably use, will this be ok? I currently chance 100% of the water on the 2.5g every two weeks, what kind of water changes will the 10g need with only one betta?

probably just a 25% change each week. 100% changes are very stressful on fish. I think your betta could possibly be held with the tetras, it just comes down to the individual fish. My betta is housed with 4 other danios, and everyone is very happy in there. It just depends on their personality. Good luck!

Your betta will be so much happier in the 10 gallon and I personally think he will be fine with your tetras. Be sure you have a good school to insure they leave your betta alone.

I would change 15% of your water weekly with one good vacumming of your gravel too.

Good choice MacDonald. :D

Thanks for all the advice! I'll set up the new tank tonight. Since I'll probably be keeping the tetras where they are, what are some reccomended tankmates for the betta? I'm looking for color.

Back
Top Bottom